Author Topic: Duct-tape the lens? :)  (Read 1041 times)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Duct-tape the lens? :)
« on: July 14, 2022, 14:32:25 »
Hi all,

I am working on an FD 135mm with bad oil on aperture leaves issue. It turned out the inner helicoid is incorporated with the optical assembly and there are two cut-out openings on both side of the assembly as shown in the picture. Those are an easy path for oil to get to the aperture. As those openings serve no functional purpose as I can see, I am thinking about sealing them with a duct tape or gluing them with some thin foil. Do you think that will work or should I just leave them alone and put a minimal amount of grease to the helicoid?

Cheers,
Zang

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
Re: Duct-tape the lens? :)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 15:45:03 »
or should I just leave them alone and put a minimal amount of grease to the helicoid?
Zang
Just that  ;)

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 04:17:58 »

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 20:29:46 »
The amount of oil on the aperture leaves suggests someone poured oil into the lens! I don't think grease turns into oil over time. How do you think?

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 22:21:53 »
Grease is basically oil mixed with soap, so yes it can break down over time, especially if the lens is exposed to high temperatures.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 15:01:58 »
The original lubricant used in the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AiS Micro Lens is a case in point - the grease initially used did in fact break down and its oily decomposition led to the aperture leaves of thousands of copies of this lens being affected.  So yes, certain types of grease do turn into oil over time.  Sorry.

The amount of oil on the aperture leaves suggests someone poured oil into the lens! I don't think grease turns into oil over time. How do you think?
Hugh Gunn

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 15:59:53 »
Oh jeez... thanks guys.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 12:49:39 »
Aperture blades are not lubricated.
However parts in the vicinity of the aperture blades that are lubricated can spill lubricant, this is the case of for instance the Micro Nikkor55mm f/2.8 Ais at least some of the production batches
Erik Lund