Author Topic: Nikon Z30 announced  (Read 1159 times)

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon Z30 announced
« on: June 29, 2022, 07:01:26 »
Looks like a Z50 without the viewfinder but with an articulating screen. Not sure how much interest will this be for most

official anouncement

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-cameras/z-30.html
Keep shooting,
Bern

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon Z30 announced
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 09:03:13 »
Very nice little option from Nikon, looks indeed like a perfect little camera for all types of video use - Will probably be very popular.
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 10:43:24 »
The final nail in the coffin for the Nikon Coolpix line, probably.

I'm not in the market for more cameras (or so I'm led to believe), yet need to study the features of the Z30 carefully.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 11:05:54 »
Z30 uses the same batttery/charger system as Z fc. Can also use the same ML-7 remote Blutooth control.

The sensor specifications apparently are as for Z fc.

Perhaps this can be used as my next microscope camera? I need to read the complete manual.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 14:11:00 »
Maybe the arrival of the Z30 will soon herald the emergence of some new Z-mount DX lenses from Nikon?
Hugh Gunn

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 17:18:29 »
This may or may not prove to  be universally welcome news; what would be universally welcome news is for Nikon to introduce a DF sensor/screen sized version of their darling Z fc.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 20:46:07 »
Nikon has released a number of DX/Z lenses, all of them of a mundane and bland character. The 18-140 was versatile in the F era so probably will continue to be the same for the Z DX models, but hardly anything to enthuse over. The same can be said for the 16-50, 24-50, and 55-200 Z Nikkors. All have modest specifications and are squarely aimed at the amateur segment. The 28/2.8 "SE" Nikkor tries hard to look like it's harking back to the old days of manual Nikkors, but in vain. Any make-believe dream is shattered by its plastic mount, and lack of an aperture ring.

Third-party offerings by Cosina/Voigtländer and Viltrox, amongst others, are more exciting and we now have a wide range of fast to very fast DX/Z options, mainly for the very wide to near 'normal' range. I have the 13mm f/1.4 Viltrox on "early bird" order and expect it to arrive later this summer, to complement the 23mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.4 siblings. The Viltrox optics are AF, whilst the Voigtländer 35mm f/1.32 Nokton is manual only.  All of these interface properly with the Z cameras and the camera, probably grudgingly, accepts these on the same footing as native Nikkors.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 23:40:30 »
The Z30 is not my cup of tea but if Nikon sells a lot of them it will fund other more exciting releases. So let's hope it's a succes!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 15:54:56 »
+1 -  Definitely!

The Z30 is not my cup of tea but if Nikon sells a lot of them it will fund other more exciting releases. So let's hope it's a succes!
Hugh Gunn

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 16:36:28 »
The more I think about this new Nikon product, the more I think that it is a video camera in disguise, rather than a mirrorless camera with video capabilities.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 21:08:56 »
The more I think about this new Nikon product, the more I think that it is a video camera in disguise, rather than a mirrorless camera with video capabilities.

It is targeted at the creator market which is mostly video these days. Looks like it checks all the boxes. I’ve been using my Z6 for streaming, but this skills like a better option in many ways.