Author Topic: Z5 or Z fc for travel  (Read 1515 times)

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
Z5 or Z fc for travel
« on: June 27, 2022, 05:49:48 »
I currently use a D850 with a set of primes for projects and the Fuji X100V for travel. I'm looking to buy my first Z camera and the FTZ II adapter.
Primes like the Z 50mm would be used and a small lens kit gradually built. Also I would adapt my AF-S lenses and also MF vintage lenses from the FM2.

The new camera shall serve as lighter kit for travel and as backup to the D850 for paid projects.
Being able to share lenses and also flash units between D850 and Z will be an advantage.
I'm a stills photographer only - video won't be used.

The Z5 has currently a large rebate and can be had for approx Euro 1'000 incl. 24-50mm. Is anyone here using the Z5?

- Sensor size, IBIS, same battery as D850 and ergonomics push me towards the Z5.
- Size / weight and similarity with my FM2 (and X100V) push me towards Z fc.

Not quite sure how the two models compare in low light: noise & AF performance.

Any comments are highly appreciated.
Daniel Diggelmann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z5 or Z fc for travel
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 10:38:08 »
For a D850 user, I think Z5 is the better candidate.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 16:26:37 »
That 24-50mm lens is very compact and light and an excellent performer. Here's a link to the 69 images I've shot so far with the 24-50mm on my Z6, maybe this helps for your choice (fwiw, I would choose the Z5).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lucdeschepper/albums/72177720297264998

ianwatson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 17:04:03 »
Definitely the Z5. Your AF-S and MF lenses will offer the angle of view that you know and love. Sharing batteries with your D850 helps when using it as backup.

The 24-50mm suits Luc's needs and does well for him. You just have to ask yourself if the lack of speed would be a problem and the money better spent towards a prime.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 18:14:09 »
Keep in mind your existing lenses will be adapted for the Z system adding some sort of adapter into the mix for travel.

I recently traveled with the Z 40/f2 and really enjoyed it.

For me the "travel size" is not so much space in carry on bag, but I want to be highly mobile at the destination. You might share with us more of your priorities for travel and you will get more fine tuned recommendations here.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 19:05:05 »
Hi Birna, Luc, Ian and Rob,

Thanks for pushing me over the cliff edge  ;D
Luc, I like your series with the 24-50mm a lot.
The Z5 / 24-50mm kit and FTZ II are ordered and should arrive tomorrow.
I took the kit as it currently costs the same as the body only option. It is on 20% sale plus CHF 100.- cash back from Nikon CH.
And luckily the two rebates are cumulative. I may still opt to sell the zoom and have a prime as my household was zoom-free so far.

When photographing events I more and more gravitate towards a two lens kit 24mm f/1.8 & 50mm f/1.8.
Although I love the 85mm f/1.4 it often proves too long indoors.
The AF-S 50mm is falling a bit short in quality on the D850 compared to my set of 1.8 and 1.4 primes between 20mm and 85mm.
For a long time I have been considering buying the 58mm f/1.4. Now for about the same cost I can have a second Nikon body plus the brilliant Z 50mm and don't need to swap lenses.
The Z5 shall not only be my travel companion but offer more possibilities to mix and match.

Soon pictures to document my impressions.

Cheers Daniel
Daniel Diggelmann

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:40:37 »
Good choice. Looking forward to your impressions and images.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 21:17:16 »
Thanks all for your advices. It was getting dark when I did my first photos and I forgot to select RAW - I like the form factor and coming from a Nikon DSLR the controls are familiar.
Daniel Diggelmann

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 22:09:54 »
I'm still learning the ins and outs of the Z5. In the meantime also got the Z 50mm f/1.8. Have been trying many of the AF modes and started to study Steve Perry's ebook an Nikon Z AF system but I'm not overly impressed with it (the camera). If it nails focus the Z 50mm lens is very good. But with both the 24-50mm and 50mm AF is slow or hunts and sometimes misses completely. Also low light AF is a problem for the Z5 but this was known from the specs.
I would expect that single point AF-S should be precise on static targets. Some of the misses can be explained in that the camera found more contrast on a surface nearby the target box. In other circumstances I really don't see what surface was chosen as nothing is in focus or focus is really off by a large amount. So either I have a bad sample or the Z5 is really a bit of a let down compared to Z6 & Z7.
My previous mirrorless experience has been a number of Fuji X cameras since introduction of the X system and now the X100V. But all except the X100V were sold as I wanted to stay with Nikon and use my existing good glass and slowly migrate towards Nikon mirrorless. Obviously also the Fuji AF has been improved over time. My X100V is way faster in acquiring focus than the Z5 and also almost never misses focus.
I'm aware that it's early days and user error is part of such problems. But I already seriously thought about returning the camera and maybe even both lenses and FTZ adapter as I don't see it being used in an event parallel to my D850 which was one of the use cases. Idea was each camera with a prime lens mounted and gaining access to the good Z 50mm. Would a Z6ii be much better?
Daniel Diggelmann

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 09:09:28 »
I had a Z5 for about a day, then let it go. The low light ‘thing’ was too overt for me, made worse by both the EVF and LCD looking like a snowstorm in anything remotely low light.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 09:30:27 »
Maybe a Z6 Will solve the problem, I have used a Z6 for a long time, and have not experienced the problems you describe.
The Z6 and the D850 also have the same sensor size, so mix and match may be easier, as the field of view is the same.
I just found out that Z5 also I FX, it is the Z50 that is DX, confused by the title

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 12:55:29 »
People tend to have different opinions. When in doubt try in shop if possible.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2022, 21:42:29 »
Finally a Z6ii solved the problem - vastly better AF in all kinds of situations and specially in low light. My Z5 may have been a bad sample as it often would miss focus completely but I decided to go for the more performant camera. More likely I'm just spoilt by the D850 :)
The Z 50mm is a super nice lens and will be used a lot in people photography.
The D850 will remain the main camera with all the F primes I have. The Z6ii will be a great complement in lower lights with its IBIS and when two bodies are required on events.
As far as travel goes the Z6ii isn't much of an advantage. Example given: D850 + AF-S 50mm f/1.8 as well as Z6ii + Z 50mm f/1.8 are both approx 1'150g.
The Z though can be packed in a bit a smaller case. And as has been suggested by Rob e.g. the Z 40mm f/2.0 would be a good travel or street lens.
Daniel Diggelmann

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2022, 22:59:49 »
Congratulation with the Z6II ;)