Author Topic: Z9 teardown  (Read 1285 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Z9 teardown
« on: June 26, 2022, 13:43:55 »

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z9 teardown
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 16:44:13 »
Camera autopsy.  Interesting.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 21:53:52 »
Interesting how ‘weak’ the lens mount is.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 22:26:47 »
Something has to give, or both camera *and* lens are destroyed. Apparently the lens was unharmed, the camera obviously not.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 22:42:37 »
Ideally the mount would be attached to a piece that sits in between and can be easily be exchanged (i e. not the mirror box a or large part of the front) after screws of the mount rips out and damages the threads. I vaguely remember such a construction used on some Nikon bodies, perhaps some of the later flagship D-bodies? This would be a good breakaway construction that would minimize damages should the worst happen.
Øivind Tøien

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 04:04:50 »
Interesting how ‘weak’ the lens mount is.
  I was among the first users of Z7 in NY. About 3 years ago I posted here - the lens mount is fragile. 4 bolts only without real reinforcing from inside. Second - the sensor needs to be covered while lenses change. So Nikon covers the sensor,  but the mount is still the same.   LZ

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 14:47:25 »
Obviously this has been quite a heavy impact to break off a huge chunk of magnesium, this was not "snap off" in any way or form!
This was a drop/impact with substantial energy, looks like a big heavy lens.
Magnesium is very stiff and quite strong, an extra 'tiny' mount screw would not have made much difference with such a high energy impact.

None of the Nikon DSLR has a mount break away design.
Some of the cameras are even space plastic for securing the mount,,, We had a long thread some years ago ;)
Some lenses has a break away ring near the lens mount, 24-70mm AFS f/2.8 for instance, that makes a clean cut, however you can often see the front group, zoom, suffer under impact - Keep your lens hood on at all times to minimize the risk of front group/zoom damage.
Erik Lund

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 15:28:07 »
I can testify that even the chromed/painted brass bodies had breakaway lens mounts.  Not intentionally, I'm sure.  But I recall standing on the sidelines of a football game, holding my 180/2.8 lens with the front of a Nikon F2 attached while the remainder of the F2 was hanging sadly around my neck.  Given persistence, I am able to break and destroy anything. ::) :P
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/