Author Topic: Nikon Z REVERSE LENS ADAPTER  (Read 1227 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Nikon Z REVERSE LENS ADAPTER
« on: June 03, 2022, 08:40:45 »
I see that there are several reverse-lens adapters available for Nikon Z cameras. Has anyone tried reversing Nikon Z lenses on a Nikon Z mirrorless camera?

Also, has anyone tried a reverse Nikon Z adapter on F-Mount lenses?

I am curious which lenses work well reversed?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Z REVERSE LENS ADAPTER
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 09:21:34 »
The native Z Nikkor lens has electronic aperture, thus you cannot control the aperture if the lens is reversed and communication to the camera is lost.

Reverse-mounting an F mount lens would be easy, however. You need an ordinary reversal ring and some suitable adapter ending with Z mount to its rear. Adding some extension as well migt be beneficial in terms of optical performance.

In fact, any lens with non-electronic aperture can be used.

If required magnifcation is 5X or larger, probably the better approach is using infinity-corrected confocal setups not finite-focus lenses. The Mitutoyo metallurgical objectives are excellent for such purposes and allow (relatively speaking) long distance to the subject.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 12:27:11 »
Just found that NOVOFLEX makes reverse-mount systems with the aperture control for various mirrorless cameras including Nikon Z mount.

https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637/macro/reverse-lens-adapter-canon-eos/reverse-adapter-nikon-z.html
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 12:28:40 »
Thanks for the added info Akira. I knew about the Canon adapter, but not the (obviously new) one for Z.

Pretty pricey, though.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 12:36:19 »
Thanks for the added info Akira. I knew about the Canon adapter, but not the (obviously new) one for Z.

Pretty pricey, though.

Glad to be of any help, Birna.  I knew that NOVOFLEX has been offering the system for the Canon EF mount for a long time, so I checked out if they had expand their lineup for the mirrorless cameras when I read Michael's post.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 10:02:51 »
Yep, NOVOFLEX is pretty on par with current camera lines...
And their lens adapters are still IMHO the best on the market.
formerly known as kds315

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 03:47:36 »
Bridging the contacts from the Z-mount to the lens is just a matter of buying an extension ring with contacts, a soldering iron, and some glue, right?  Should be very easy to do in my opinion.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 19:11:43 »
Bridging the contacts from the Z-mount to the lens is just a matter of buying an extension ring with contacts, a soldering iron, and some glue, right?  Should be very easy to do in my opinion.
    Correct. Not a big deal.  LZ