Author Topic: New Image Editor Beats PS & Lightroom!  (Read 1282 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
New Image Editor Beats PS & Lightroom!
« on: May 31, 2022, 23:31:08 »
I've tried/owned/used many image editing software's over the years.  Heck, 10-20 years ago I even taught PhotoShop classes at a technical college.

Since Skylum came out with Luminar, I've been using it.  Earlier versions were OK, but didn't meet all of my needs.

Then, a week or two ago Skylum released an update to Neo that had "AI Masking".  Revolutionary!  I like Neo so much now that I've deleted/purged both PhotoShop and Lightroom from all of my computers.

If you want to buy Neo, get it using Jim Nix's discount link.  Jim does an outstanding job of developing free Neo training programs on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/c/JimNix ).

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: New Image Editor Beats PS & Lightroom!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 00:34:28 »
Bruce,

Do you know if the license allows one to install the program on a desktop and also a laptop computer? In my case I am the sole user of a Windows desktop and MAC laptop.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:51:16 »
When accessing the Luminar site just now from the USA, they offer a '2 computers for the price of one' license, additionally discounted about 30%.  I will look and investigate.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 14:43:46 »
Have you tried the AI mask technology of the latest Lr version ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 19:15:50 »
Thanks for posting this. I will try the new masking tool. Like you, I have tried many programs and raw converters. I’ve also used Neo but was underwhelmed. For my preferred style of photography it’s not at the same level as other programs. Yes, it’s quicker but using presets and styles work as well. Hopefully the masking tool will change my mind w.r.t. Neo but sofar the program has been a disappointment. For raw and image processing, C1 remains my favorite for what I want to achieve WITH nikon and Fuji raw files.

Btw: I am currwntly testing the C1 ipad beta program and am pleasantly suprised by the built-in raw processing. There are still some quirks to be solved (e.g. speed of synchronization) and so,e nice to haves.  For quick editing while travelling or when Time is important, it is a great tool. It is intuitive and has the features needed for quick editing.  I also used the LR ipad version but I do like the out-of -box processing of C1 better, which saves me time.  I do realize it’s a matter of taste. The good news is that raw processing has finally come to the ipad!
Peter

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 19:32:05 »
Thanks for the info
Last year I canceled my PS cloud subscription
but sometimes I wish I had masking and layers
I'll give it a try
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2022, 22:34:19 »
I have mixed feelings about Luminar. I appreciate them trying to break out and do something different. I think algorithm driven image developing is here to stay (ie., all cell phone images go through this).

For me image processing is an ecosystem to include culling, sorting, developing, and sharing. Also includes mobile capture, mobiel processing, syncing across platforms. Some of this I do in batches -- a travel image set or a family event. I use Collections a lot in Lightroom. I share often to Zenfolo and sometimes to Adobe Portfolio. I have tried Photomechanic for a while when LR loading used to be so slow. Sometimes I spend a lot of time on one photo, but more often I am working through a batch and trying to balance a limited amount of time with a larger set of images (100-300 or more).

So for me, Luminar Neo has to fit into the whole thing. Luminar (or any product) as a Lightroom plugin never is smooth. LR converts to a large TIFF, then opens Luminar, then you edit, then it closes Luminar (so for each photo you get an open and close).

So while I want to try LR alternatives, I feel locked in not by the program but by the ecosystem.