Author Topic: Nik 105/1.8 and Nik 105/4 combo vs Zeiss makro-planar 100/2  (Read 1612 times)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Weekend will see me thinking over the shots I took with these three lenses.
My possible future lens purchase is based on economization and not purely on GAS hit. My friend showed me Zeiss Makro-Planar 100/2 ZF which he would let me have for $390 and let me testing it for couple of days. I have Niks 105/4 for makro and 1.8 for portraits and wondered if I could cover both these things by single Zeiss. I still didn´t decide and find this decision quite difficult. From economization point of view only it´s no brainer, but I do love my Niks, especially that 1.8.

I have found that Zeiss´s contrast and color is nice, can say it´s punchy. You basically don´t even need any post-process. On the other hand that light dreamyness of fully open 1.8 is also charming. Overal sharpness after closing aperture down is great in both lenses. I do not have any comment/complaints agains bokeh either. 

I will post some shots here tomorrow. I told my friend that I will decide whether I take the Zeiss or not during the weekend. (Would have to sell those two Niks at first anyway)
Emotional connection to that 1.8 makes deciding not easy for me.  :-)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: Nik 105/1.8 and Nik 105/4 combo vs Zeiss makro-planar 100/2
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 15:12:45 »
On the Zeiss Makro_Planars, 50mm ands 100mm... I had both and used them for years...but have sold them because:

Built like a tank, sharp, and all that, but I sold them because they are NOT well-enough corrected, and the the various aberrations killed those lenses for my work. IMO, and people vary, they are too 'contrasty" for me, what you called, I believe, 'punchy'. I like to add my own punch in the editing. 
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 16:39:35 »
I understand your point Michael, there is quite some CA in the 100/2 Zeiss, however, the question here, I would have to answer as YES, GO FOR IT!
Why? I think the 105mm 1.8 is not perfectly corrected as well, and the 100 will outresolve the 105/4 by a lot. The price is really, really fair (in EU often > 500 EUR)

HOWEVER, I had the ZF 100 some months ago and compared it to my Voigtländer SL II 90mm 3.5 APO LANTHAR, which I commonly use as my "walkaround tele and sometimes close-up flowers etc".
While the ZF 100 is really good, my winner was the Voigtländer, simply because its WAY more compact, eases life a lot, as it was a lot easier to achieve focus.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 16:46:53 »
I understand your point Michael, there is quite some CA in the 100/2 Zeiss, however, the question here, I would have to answer as YES, GO FOR IT!
Why? I think the 105mm 1.8 is not perfectly corrected as well, and the 100 will out resolve the 105/4 by a lot. The price is really, really fair (in EU often > 500 EUR)

HOWEVER, I had the ZF 100 some months ago and compared it to my Voigtlander SL II 90mm 3.5 APO LANTHAR, which I commonly use as my "walkaround tele and sometimes close-up flowers etc".
While the ZF 100 is really good, my winner was the Voigtlander, simply because its WAY more compact, eases life a lot, as it was a lot easier to achieve focus.

Yes, I have maybe a dozen Voigtlander, including several versions of the 90mm APO Lanthar. I like most all of them. I have had five copies of the Voigtlander 125mm APO Lanthar, and am down to two at the moment. Aside from the 90s, I like the 180mm Voigtlander as well. When it comes to lenses, that's where photographers differ and find their differences. I have very low tolerances for CA for close up stacking work.  IMO, a good deal on a lens with faults is not a deal. It's like tripods, get at least one good (and probably expensive) tripod and get rid of the closet full of cheap tripods that you bought trying for a deal.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 19:23:13 »
Thank you for the input.

Yes, I was also thinking about adding contrast by myself, but now I’m inclined to Zeiss actually - it’s not so overwhelming I feel. And the comment about resolving power also seems to fit my findings. So far so good.
But I realised one thing which you have mentioned, Michael. I was taking a portrait of my SL66 camera and stacked the shots - and the result image had some strange shining on the glossy edges and I had to adjust it manually. Maybe that’s the problem you are referring to?

I’m here with some headshots.
I’ll post it in couples - two fully open, two 2.8 and two 4. I usually don’t close the aperture when shooting portraits so these would be my most used settings.

First from the couple always Nik followed by Zeiss

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 19:24:25 »

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 19:25:19 »

Dane

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 20:36:03 »
Contrast (especially micro contrast), sharpness and resolution go to Zeiss (imho)
On top, I guess due to the micro contrast, the picture „pops“ more, while the Nikkor seems „flat“

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 21:40:36 »
Too many variables for me. Sorry. My comment was about contrast and CA, and that's what I found after extensive use of the two Zeiss Macro. Other people may well differ, of course.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 23:10:18 »
My take is: Zeiss 2/100 as replacement for Nikkor 1.8/105. Keep the 4/105, very useful multi purpose lens and cheap
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 23:56:28 »
The Zeiss definitely has more contrast and "pop".  However, it's also relentless.  I wouldn't use it for portraits without softening in post or with a softening filter.  Love the softer look from the Nikon--seems pretty perfect for this type of picture. 

I would immediately buy the Zeiss for $390 if it's in good shape and working properly.  Looks great as a short tele for general use but hang onto the Nikkor for portraits.  Just my opinion of course.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 23:59:19 »
Absolutely 390€ is a very good deal for the lens in good shape. One Camera Magazine in Germany rated the lens 100/100 which they did to no other lens ever
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 00:07:11 »
Thank you guys for all the replies.
It seems that I’ll need to take more time to weight the things than I thought.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to get Zeiss to have it besides Nikkors. It’s either this or those.

Some other shots - now from different distance (but not soo much different though).
Again - Nikkor first, Zeiss follows.
Fully open

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 00:08:15 »

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 00:11:29 »