Author Topic: Image jumps around in Photoshop  (Read 1479 times)

ianwatson

Image jumps around in Photoshop
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:42:38 »
When working in Photoshop, the image sometimes jumps around in the viewing window of its own accord. Why is that? More importantly, how can I stop it?

ianwatson

Re: Image jumps around in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 05:04:30 »
Naturally, I discovered what I am doing to make the image move around shortly after posting. I am an Apple man and have one of their mice. One moves a finger across the top surface to scroll and that is what I am doing inadvertently; this moves the image around. Aside from being more careful with my finger, is there a way to stop this in Photoshop?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 09:24:25 »
Try going to system preference under the Apple Icon and look at the options afforded to your particular mouse. I'll try to have a look myself when I get a chance to look when using a new iMAC with a Magic Mouse (I think that's what it's called). I have very little time on a recent MAC but I'm pretty sure there is something that will allow you to customize your mouse.

Best

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 09:56:43 »
There are mouse settings under control panel for most OS? so probably also for the Mac. You can fine-tune speed of movement, functions of mouse buttons and scroll wheel,  click/double-click speed etc. Programs might choose to override such settings however I doubt that applies to Photoshop. It sort of defeats the purpose of PS.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 11:34:29 »
Is there any possibility that you inadvertently click the button when you touch the top surface of the mouse?  That could make you drag the image around?  I use M1 MacBook Air without mouse and thus the parameter for the setting of the mouse doesn't appear, but you may be able to lower the response of the touch sensitive button of the mouse?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 12:31:59 »
From my little experience with a new Magic Mouse it has a touch surface on the top of the mouse so even though it has only one physical button and no scroll wheel it offers all these functionalities. Actually it's pretty slick. You do have to set the mouse on it's side and plug in a cable that comes with the computer to charge the mouse. Pretty stupid! You will probably want to charge your mouse once every couple of weeks. I poked my nose in long enough to see there is a click settings and more gestures section in the mouse settings so if some gestures are something of an annoyance they can be turned off.

Dave

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 15:25:14 »
Happens to me very frequently...in several different programs.  I thought it was something wrong with the computer until recently when I discovered it was user error.  Now I just try to be more careful.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 15:47:28 »
From my little experience with a new Magic Mouse it has a touch surface on the top of the mouse so even though it has only one physical button and no scroll wheel it offers all these functionalities. Actually it's pretty slick. You do have to set the mouse on it's side and plug in a cable that comes with the computer to charge the mouse. Pretty stupid! You will probably want to charge your mouse once every couple of weeks. I poked my nose in long enough to see there is a click settings and more gestures section in the mouse settings so if some gestures are something of an annoyance they can be turned off.

Dave

Apparently, the mouse does do the magic, being true to its trade name...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

ianwatson

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 17:02:46 »
Thank you all for the suggestions. There does not seem to be a way to disable the touch surface under system preferences. So I will just have to be more careful.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 02:31:53 »
Thank you all for the suggestions. There does not seem to be a way to disable the touch surface under system preferences. So I will just have to be more careful.

My solution on a new MacBook Pro M1 was to skip the Magic Mouse and get Logitech M650 L Mouse. It's not as slick looking as the Magic Mouse but for me it's more usable. It has two buttons on top and a scroll wheel and another two buttons forward and backward on the left side. I'm pretty sure it's available in a Left Handed version as well as a right.

Dave

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2022, 11:19:29 »
Have stopped using mouse for a number of years. I’m using the internal trackpad when traveling and an external one at home.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν