Author Topic: Nikon d850 will be replaced by the d880 any time soon.....  (Read 3662 times)

Rmsf

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Will the nikon d880 replace the d850 still in 2022 or did nikon cancel the replacement, im thinking of upgrading to the d850 or wait for the replacement..............

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon d850 will be replaced by the d880 any time soon.....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 18:06:36 »
There have been no rumors about the 880 for over a year. I expect that the replacement for the d850 is the Z8. As much as some people love optical viewfinders, I don't think Nikon can support leading edge development on mirrorless and SLR at the same time. Current resources are going into computational AF, processors, improving EVF, and optics. While some of this is applicable to SLR cameras, advances in AF, processors and (some) optics are different for mirrorless. This means parallel efforts would be needed to keep pace on the SLR side, At some point it will not make sense try and keep up. I think that point has already passed. but surely there may be different opinions on when it will happen. I have no doubt that it WILL happen.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 20:22:43 »
Thom Hogan has speculated that Nikon might produce a "last and best" DSLR, in much the same way they made the last and best manual focus camera (FM3a) and AF film camera (D6 F6). Such a camera would likely be a natural upgrade to the D850. Whether it will be called D880, D900 or D7, or whether it will even happen is anyone's guess.

ianwatson

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 22:32:12 »
The D850 is still a phenomenal camera. Why wait for something that may never be?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 00:01:24 »
imho With the highest probability the SLR/F-mount system has come to an end. The shrinking market and Nikons rather  limited development capacities would suggest that.

The last and best cameras- interesting thought
The FM3A came years after the FE2
The D6 (probably the last of the D series) came as an improvement over the D5 because Nikon needed something to offer for the 2020 olympics (and fulfilthe at least 4 year circle after there had not been a  D5s) - but without including the newest available technology in all fields, surely they had the upcoming Z9 in mind.
And there was the F6 (came out in parallel to the D2x), with newer AF but missing exchangeble viewinder system the F5 had- apparaently did not sell to well, was offered over  a long period of time. Film era was over faster than everytone might have expected.

Waiting for a D880 is no reason for not buying a D850
Wolfgang Rehm

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 00:04:48 »
I'm skeptical about any new DSLR from Nikon.  Canon has already declared the discontinuation of the development of DSLR.  There is no rival DSLR manufacturer anymore.  I would even think that D780 was an unnecessary upgrade to D750.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 10:16:34 »
Nikon will do anything that improves the bottom line of profit - market opportunities are not driven by logic.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 11:23:51 »
Is there a chance that the availability of used D850's will increase as people move to the Z system?

Rmsf

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 11:31:27 »
My issue is that the d 850 its not a cheap camera and if i pulled the trigger and 2 or 3 months after nikon released the new dslr and my new acquisition will devalued, because after all its an investment

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 11:58:02 »
Is there a chance that the availability of used D850's will increase as people move to the Z system?

It's happening as we speak, but beware of scams! I have seen at least 5 suspicious eBay sales (supposedly all from France) in the 900-1000€ range. All sellers had 0 feedbacks...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 12:43:12 »
I'm skeptical about any new DSLR from Nikon.  Canon has already declared the discontinuation of the development of DSLR.  There is no rival DSLR manufacturer anymore.  I would even think that D780 was an unnecessary upgrade to D750.

Canon said the 1D X III is their last flagship DSLR, as far as I know they didn't say they will not develop another DSLR that is not a flagship. Clickbait titles may have been made by different interpretations (because sites get more clicks by being more provocative and extreme in interpretation).

Nikon have said whether they will develop new DSLR products depends on market demand. Personally I find the EVF so repelling that I got a second D850 and am hoping for a new model in that series that would combine some of the mirrorless features, such as better LV AF, and the all-cross-type AF sensor of the D6 into the D850's successor. I will probably buy one more DSLR to ensure that I will have something that works for the rest of my life. I just find myself not wanting to lift the EVF to my eye, but shooting with the back screen is OK for some applications such as landscape.

Rmsf

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 13:09:10 »
Other of my issues is that the d 850 for filming is bad and i was hopping for the replacement to fix that

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 16:49:28 »
Nikon will do anything that improves the bottom line of profit - market opportunities are not driven by logic.

It is not clear whether this is intended to support the possibility of a d880 or the opposite. The cost to develop and roll out something substantially better than the d850 would be quite high, so from a bottom line point of view, continuing to sell the 850 as is would be optimal. I’m not sure how improving the bottom line profits is not driven by logic.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 23:48:45 »
Logic can be quite subjective, a certain company got rid of the headphone jack which was illogical to many during that time, they are now the biggest earphone company.  They also sold $700 wheels for a computer tower, illogical until you realise all the free press and headlines, must admire such genius manipulations.  It is a good thing that such (predatory) methods do not exist in consumer interchangeable lens cameras, and I wish it stays this way.

I am not sure how Nikon can improve the D850 replacement further without amplifying the cost considerably.  Marginally better autofocus?  16-bit raw?  Even higher framerates?  Perhaps even add binning without the playful (shady) method of the A7sIII?  Add a slow readout mode to reduce noise further?  They can make the ultimate DSLR on top of the existing ultimate DSLR which is... the D850.  I will welcome this but it hardly makes sense.

Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 23:52:31 »
I am not sure how Nikon can improve the D850 replacement further without amplifying the cost considerably.  Marginally better autofocus?  16-bit raw?  Even higher framerates?  Perhaps even add binning without the playful (shady) method of the A7sIII?  Add a slow readout mode to reduce noise further?  They can make the ultimate DSLR on top of the existing ultimate DSLR which is... the D850.  I will welcome this but it hardly makes sense.

Yes, I think there are marginal benefits to Nikon to upgrade the D850 but potentially high costs.