Author Topic: Teaser butterfly  (Read 1839 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Re: Teaser butterfly
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 23:36:35 »
Birna:

Thanks so much!  I will copy the image and tweak my copy a bit!  Appreciate your help.

Randy

Also thanks. Though I think I will only go as far as taping the ring and gluing the switch. I will also attach a Wimberley ARCA plate.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 23:48:08 »
The original hood is HB-14, it is seated on the outer stationary part of the lens casing. Meaning it will offer almost no shading when the lens is focused very close, since the front section moves outwards during focusing. You can put an HN-23/24 or similar 62mm-threaded hood on the filter threads, and the lens hood will tend move jointly with the front. As the close focus distance is quite short, you cannot use an efficient and long hood, however.

I recommend taping down the A/M switch encircling the lens as it can break even when never used -- that happened to my AF-D 200/4 Micro ED and the repair costed a bundle. The ring is just ever so slightly too wide (to make it rotate smoothly?) and is kept in position by a single screw, and at this point there can be material fatigue and over time hairline cracks develop. Eventually the ring snaps and might lead to the lens falling apart. Trust me this is not theoretical conjecture as it has killed my AFD 105/2 DC in addition to the Micro 200 ED. All my lenses with this "feature" now are safely taped down.
The 80-200 f2.8 2 ring version has the same problem. :(

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2022, 00:01:38 »
Dead Ringers  :P

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2022, 00:33:30 »
If I've came across as critical to the 70-180, let us not forget this is a lens used by me for > 2 decades and for all kind of subjects, from close-up to landscapes. My comments are related to what should be done to get the lens better fitted for its intended purpose.

In these horrible times of war in Ukraine, the following landscape shot pulled from my archives fits the Ukrainian colour scheme. It was obtained as an illustration of a very well known Norwegian fairy tale, about the hero trying to get to the elusive castle of Soria Moria blazing its alluring golden light from far far away. J.R.R. Tolkien based his 'mines of Moria' (LOTR) on the tale. My picture followed the original painted illustration (by Th.Kittelsen) to the tale from the late 1800's, but of course at the time it was taken (2002) a little digitally enhanced. Digital was the fairy tale coming alive at that time.

I refound the image when I searched for 70-180 examples.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 11:23:34 »
What a treat - Birna, I am glad that you "refound" this image.
Hugh Gunn

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2022, 12:46:24 »
Thanks go to the SQL server :) A last off-topic post before we should return to the main subject, the 70-180 :)

My image combines two well-known (to Norwegians, at least) fairy-tale motifs illustrated by the Norwegian painter Theodor Kittelsen (1857-1914). The first is 'Soria Moria' (the alluring glittering of the golden castle in the horizon), the other is the characteristic shape of the mountain Andersnatten. Kittelsen often used the profile of that mountain to illustrate trolls with trees growing as hair.

The original 'Soria Moria' and a landscape painting of Andersnatten are below, both by Kittelsen,

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2022, 12:50:14 »
Thanks.
Hugh Gunn

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 03:29:01 »
I joined the club - though my first image was a misfire :-)

HN-23 and a 77mm lens cap fit well.
Wimberley P-10 plate.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2022, 09:40:39 »
You should explore those 'misfires' further :)

Congratulations on the acquisition of 70-180. Sure looks almost unused.