Author Topic: Tc-14e II  (Read 2001 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
Tc-14e II
« on: March 02, 2022, 21:14:48 »
This lens converter has been on my radar for a long time. I finally purchased the above and now realize it won't mount on my 500/4/p without modification.

I didn't receive it yet and I'm asking for a little help. Here is my question........

Should I return it and purchase an older variation, or just file the tabs off? Once I modify it I cannot return it. If it is optically superior, I will keep it.
Many Thanks in advance,
Steve

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Tc-14e II
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 21:31:06 »
I have the TC-17e II and it could not mount on my AF 300/2.8 EDIF lens. I assume same reason as yours.
It is just a "tap" you have to file down that prevent it to mount on old AF tele lenses.
I unscrewed the mount and used a Dremel tool to file it down. Then It works.
There are a couple of pieces of thin foil under the mount you should take care of not to remove (or remember how they sits).
Apart from this it is a simple operation if you have JIS-screwdrivers.......

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 23:06:26 »
Yes, it has tabs that can be removed. (Basically my quest is a Nikon 1.4 Tc, and now confused over revisions.)

Which 1.4 Tc has af contacts and is able to mount my 500? I think older versions were Ai only. I have to dig out my old Moose Peterson, Nikon Handbook.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 00:03:43 »
Just remove the tab that blocks mounting non-AFS lenses.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 04:56:20 »
Thank you.
I. Think I got a winner. The front cap is missing and the one that I made, the glue is still drying.
For now it resides on the baseball bat (70-200vr1,) in which I'm fine with the IQ.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 09:36:43 »
Yes, it has tabs that can be removed. (Basically my quest is a Nikon 1.4 Tc, and now confused over revisions.)

Which 1.4 Tc has af contacts and is able to mount my 500? I think older versions were Ai only. I have to dig out my old Moose Peterson, Nikon Handbook.
As always, Roland has the overview.
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html#TC
Erik Lund

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 03:29:47 »
(....waiting for touch up to dry.)
I used a grobet screw head file to remove the tab like a hack saw. I dabbed a bit of black where I got over zealous.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 02:34:41 »
For reference purposes, I'd like to say the "tab" that has to be removed is the small tooth on the lens mount, which I didn't even consider as a tab. (Getting old.)

My biggest pooper, I really wanted to try the old 80-200/2.8 in manual focus and it doesn't fit.

Thank you, Birna. (She helped me fix my goof.)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 08:17:22 »
More to the reference collection: what is to be removed is the small chrome-plated intrusion on the *inside* of the bayonet mount. Don't touch the three large claws.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 09:29:34 »
As Birna said I upload a photo of the mount for my Nikon 1.7x on the left that has this metal intrusion and Kenko 1.4x pro 300 on the right that does not have this and can be mounted on 80-200 with no issue and also can AF because it supports screw drive AF  that was the reason of the purchase these days  ;)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 12:42:45 »
As Birna said I upload a photo of the mount for my Nikon 1.7x on the left that has this metal intrusion and Kenko 1.4x pro 300 on the right that does not have this and can be mounted on 80-200 with no issue and also can AF because it supports screw drive AF  that was the reason of the purchase these days  ;)

I see that the Kenko TC has only 8 contacts, while Nikon's (1.4, 1.7 and 2.0) have 10 contacts. I only have TC14e ii and Tc20e iii, I learned about the 1.7 by your photo. Can you ascertain whether VR is possible with the Kenko TC (on AFS lens) ? Maybe only 8 contacts will not make it possible...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Member
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 13:32:56 »
VR is possible with Kenko and works great with AF-S and AFD lenses
I use it with 200-500 f 5.6E that  has a great VR and with 300pf f4 E
It’s an 7 elements TC and the optical system is far from the flange so it can engage with many AF-S lenses
I used it with 85 AF-S 1.8 and Al 55 2.8 micro to increase the working distance and the image degradation was minimal
Now days Iam searching to acquire a  Nikon  1.4x III Copy as I feel that will match better my telephotos :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 13:57:12 »
VR is possible with Kenko and works great with AF-S and AFD lenses
I use it with 200-500 f 5.6E that  has a great VR and with 300pf f4 E
It’s an 7 elements TC and the optical system is far from the flange so it can engage with many AF-S lenses
I used it with 85 AF-S 1.8 and Al 55 2.8 micro to increase the working distance and the image degradation was minimal
Now days Iam searching to acquire a  Nikon  1.4x III Copy as I feel that will match better my telephotos :)
Be aware; The TC- 14 mark III is compatible with fewer lenses since it lacks the aperture followers
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 12:12:19 »
Be aware; The TC- 14 mark III is compatible with fewer lenses since it lacks the aperture followers

Correcting myself: you're right, it doesn't seem to have that sliding thingie that reads the current aperture mechanically. :-)

But it does have the other sliding thing that adjusts the aperture.

If the AF-S or AF-I D lens were locked to minimum aperture, it should still be possible to operate it, but I believe this is disabled.

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 15:55:26 »
Correcting myself: you're right, it doesn't seem to have that sliding thingie that reads the current aperture mechanically. :-)

But it does have the other sliding thing that adjusts the aperture.

If the AF-S or AF-I D lens were locked to minimum aperture, it should still be possible to operate it, but I believe this is disabled.

TC-14III won't tell the camera what aperture is set, so the camera will show fEE. One can use the aperture ring of the lens (on those cameras that let one do this), but the meter will be off if the lens is stoped down.

TC-14E and TC-14EII (with the tab removed) will work as expected with OP's P-lens. The P-lens doesn't autofocus, so there is no autofocus to loose.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.