Author Topic: A small request  (Read 1500 times)

ianwatson

A small request
« on: February 24, 2022, 22:49:36 »
Hello everyone,

This forum is a delightful enclave of civility in cyberspace. Credit is due to the thoughtful rules and expectations. For example, we only discuss topics related to our shared love of photography. Another, and one of my favourites, is the use of real names. If not as one's username then at least in the signature line of one's posts. Real names make for a connection that anonymity never can and help concentrate our minds a little before we press "Post."

Observance of this last one seems to be slipping a bit lately. May I ask that everyone please checks that their name is obvious in their posts? Let us keep NikonGear special!

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: A small request
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 10:14:45 »
Hello everyone,

This forum is a delightful enclave of civility in cyberspace. Credit is due to the thoughtful rules and expectations. For example, we only discuss topics related to our shared love of photography. Another, and one of my favourites, is the use of real names. If not as one's username then at least in the signature line of one's posts. Real names make for a connection that anonymity never can and help concentrate our minds a little before we press "Post."

Observance of this last one seems to be slipping a bit lately. May I ask that everyone please checks that their name is obvious in their posts? Let us keep NikonGear special!

Agree, my nick and my first name in the signature comply to your requests... and I have my name and surname (and BTW all other data) in the EXIFs of my photos.

Only my photo does not comply, in that one I am am more of a Cyclope than a human  :)

Ciao from Massimo

Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 15:25:26 »
While I understand that this may be important to you, there are a couple of points I would like to raise.

1. People could use any name that looked genuine without it actually being their own name,

2. A name, genuine or not, tells you nothing about the person.

ianwatson

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 17:31:04 »
Very true, Chris. My point is that there is a difference in the character of the place that comes from being able to refer to people by names that we use in person rather than weird and wonderful strings of letters. So a nom de plume would be fine, although I doubt most people would bother.

We learn about the person as we always do, by interaction.