Author Topic: Grip for Nikon d5200  (Read 863 times)

Rmsf

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Grip for Nikon d5200
« on: February 21, 2022, 16:04:41 »
Hello, i`m new here and i´m searching for a grip for my D5200. Did Nikon ever made a grip for the D5200 because i could only find grips from other brands like Meike

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Grip for Nikon d5200
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 16:21:20 »
I don't believe there are anything else than third-party options here? Why is a grip necessary - I have the D5300 and it serves me well as is.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 18:02:06 »
Hello, i`m new here and i´m searching for a grip for my D5200. Did Nikon ever made a grip for the D5200 because i could only find grips from other brands like Meike

I have a Meike grip for my D5300.
It works on the D5200 as well
It has room for 2 EN-EL14 batteries

It has a portrait mode shooting button, but be warned: there is no dedicated portrait mode AF-ON button (a standard feature in pro cameras from Nikon D1 through D6), and then the electric contacts are operated through the battery compartment, so in order for the portrait mode button to work at all you have to connect a short cable (provided) from the grip to the remote port on L-hand side of camera. A bit ugly, but works...

Not being able to separate focussing from release, you'll have to deactivate the AF-ON feature (otherwise most of your vertical shots will be out of focus).

You can go on shooting all day with two batteries, battery switch from the depleted one to the other is automatic.
Good thing is, you don't spend a fortune. If I remind correctly, they also sell the grip with two optional EN-EL14 compatible batteries.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 02:22:04 »
They made an older model that used the IR sensors, like a built in remote but I can't think of it. For that grip you had to enable remote shutter release. The button on the grip in portrait mode, used IR to trigger the shutter, like a 3rd party remote. No silly usb wires connecting the grip to camera, externally.

I have used 3rd party grips on a D3200 and a D5200. Honestly they all felt like I taped an empty dish detergent bottle to the bottom. They are quite handy for handling long telephoto lenses,

I have a D3200, brand unknown. For the cost of shipping, it's yours.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 02:18:22 »
It may not be an issue, but one of the annoyances on the D3200 was that back button focus does not work with the IR remote.  No problem if you don't use BBF anyway, but I found it very annoying that you have to disable AF for night shots using the remote.