Author Topic: D780 Battery Grip  (Read 1261 times)

Donovan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D780 Battery Grip
« on: February 11, 2022, 16:51:03 »
Greetings! Anyone here using a battery grip for the D780? I’ve been looking but I can only find it on eBay and it’s been shipped from China. Any recommendations? Thanks  in advance.

Donovan

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: D780 Battery Grip
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 00:35:04 »
Nikon doesn't make a grip thus you have to source third-party versions. Most of which, if not all, are Chinese products.

Donovan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 01:12:51 »
Thanks for your response. What I am really looking for is a recommendation from someone who has one and is satisfied with it. Chinese made unit may be my only choice but I hate buying it on eBay from a Chinese vendor. Availability from a vendor in the USA would be my preferred choice.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 07:28:23 »
Sorry, cannot assist you there. I got a grip for Df that was quite OK, but the presence of the grip removed what attracted me to the camera in the first place. There is no free lunch.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 21:06:24 »
Greetings! Anyone here using a battery grip for the D780? I’ve been looking but I can only find it on eBay and it’s been shipped from China. Any recommendations? Thanks  in advance.

Donovan

When Nikon builds a camera and has a battery grip as an option, there always is a contact block for letting the grip communicate the button presses from the grip to the camera. Common examples are Nikon D300, D600, D810, D850. Even with compatible grips for such models, you will have duplicate dials for portrait mode, a lockable shooting button, a duplicate AF-ON button and a duplicate multi-selector with central OK button. Camera will work just as effectively in landscape and in portrait mode.

The D780 does not have such a contact block, so the grip communicates with the camera using the battery compartment, which has no extra contacts for letting the eventual extra buttons communicate with the camera (and you will have no extra buttons, maybe only a portrait mode shooting button). As such, in order to be able to use a portrait mode button, you will have to use an extra small cable to connect the grip to the remote connector. This allows only for basic operation (you'll have half press focussing but you will lose the AF-ON focussing function in portrait mode, no dedicated dials, no multi-selector), so the only value of a third-party battery grip is for extending the number of actuations you can achieve before changing battery packs.

So before opening your wallet you have to consider what functions you will need from a grip which was not natively integrated with the camera. Possibly the answer will be that you don't need one!

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Donovan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 22:00:58 »
Thanks for your response. I fully appreciate all the info you’ve offered here. I’m aware of the limitations because Nikon did not design this unit with a grip in mind. After reading your well written response, I’m now inclined to move on from this itch :)