Author Topic: 55mm f2.8 AIS with extension tube, will it work?  (Read 3775 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: 55mm f2.8 AIS with extension tube, will it work?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2022, 07:19:49 »
I found this thread here in Nikongear using the ES-2:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9405.0

It looks like a very simple setup which is easy to use with e.g. daylight.
Also easy to change slides. Even that I have a PB-6 with slide attachment I might get the ES-2 if I should digitize a lot of slides.
The PB-6 may give better options for crops. If flash is used as light then if flash has a diffuser I think even illumination will not be a problem.

I have never tried SC-17 cable on digital bodies but it works I guess.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2022, 08:25:00 »

The Nikon SC-17 TTL cord simply passes all contacts on the camera hot shoe to a second hot shoe on the far end of the SC-17 cord. I'll add more when I'm able. I can say the SC-17 (replaced by the Nikon SC-28 and SC-29) works perfectly on both film and digital cameras. If memory serves me, three SC-17(s) can be used in series. I've straitened and also shortened SC-17 cords.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 09:26:21 »
There is no problem using the SC-17 even on modern cameras, except not all (earlier) models would allow TTL metering.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 10:51:55 »
Off the topic of film to digital copy...

The SC-17 is even compatible with the Nikon FM2n and will offer an in viewfinder ready light but since the FM2n does not offer Film TTL flash the flash will need to offer Manual Flash or Auto Flash (Auto Thyristor Flash). For example one might use a Nikon SB-15 or Nikon SB-800 with a Nikon FM2n in the appropriate modes. The SC-17 will even work with the Nikon F and F2 in manual and auto flash and the Nikon F3 in film TTL mode when using the appropriate adapters.

For more information on compatibility one might try...

https://mir.com.my/rb/photography/

Dave

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2022, 20:39:33 »
I remember that the SC-17 was an expensive cable. Especially if you were a student. I can see now that the price level of SC-28 is relative high so better to get a SC-17 if it works.

The only Flash I have that works with iTTL is SB-400 and I was so happy with it that I got a spare.......
For more light output I use a SB-28 or SB-80DX. Either in "computer mode" or M-mode (1/1, 1/2, 1/4 etc.....). With digital cameras it is easy to adjust the light.
I got the SB-80DX cheap when it was outdated but liked the metal shoe and "quick release system".

With a TTL cable and a cheap SB-80DX or similar in M mode it should be possible to find a setting and a distance that works with a slide copy setup I guess?

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2022, 00:08:43 »
I have the SB-80DX which my wife got originally for her F100, and also an SB-24,  and a whole collection of connectors.  The DB-80DX is very versatile, and includes a remote trigger, but it has few buttons for its functions, and takes getting used to.  You can't adjust the ISO once it's turned on, so have to turn it off and on again for that.  The SB-24 has fewer features and fewer low power functions, but works well and you don't need instructions to remember what button to push. I like, also, that I got mine for $2 at a junk sale,  which seemed a bargain too good to pass up.

Among my random assortment of cords are a couple of ten foot multi-flash cables, which make for interesting effects at times, allowing (with intervening bits) up to 20 feet between flash and camera, and allowing one to illuminate a single distant object or place.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2022, 03:46:44 »
I found this thread here in Nikongear using the ES-2:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9405.0

Also easy to change slides. Even that I have a PB-6 with slide attachment I might get the ES-2 if I should digitize a lot of slides.
The PB-6 may give better options for crops. If flash is used as light then if flash has a diffuser I think even illumination will not be a problem.

This is a nice and simple copier, but it would set me back by $200 plus taxes :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2022, 07:25:00 »

Keep in mind that the color temperature of daylight changes all day long. The color temperature of flash not so much. If using daylight it might be best use use mid day sunlight.

Dave

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2022, 16:01:22 »
Keep in mind that the color temperature of daylight changes all day long. The color temperature of flash not so much. If using daylight it might be best use use mid day sunlight.

Dave

You are lucky to have diverse day light. We have grayish light all day long here LOL. But seriously, you are correct. Another benefit of the on-lens copier is, one would save time on leveling the camera unlike with the separate holder design.