Author Topic: Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro Lens  (Read 8712 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro Lens
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2022, 10:40:07 »
Nice image!

An image like this from Laowa homepage is that also a stack or can this be obtained with a single frame?
They claim that the wide angle design gives better DOF.
Lens is CA-free it seems.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2022, 11:07:33 »
I looked at web what is possible with AFS 105/2.8 which I have and I have concluded that I can live with that lens as there are some quite nice images made with the lens and the resale value is quite low.
Even that the Z-105 is very good there are other Z-lenses I want more (like the 200-600 zoom).

I made a test on some fabric to force some CA to check how bad it is (full aperture). I had default CA-correction enabled in RAW conversion. There are some CA in back and foreground. I think I can learn how to use the lens to obtain good images. Bokeh can be quite nice.

2nd image are same fabric shot with a Minolta scanner lens. If I can get a spider to stand still I may be able get an image like the one shot with Laowa 25mm lens?
The scanner lens is very well corrected.

Think I forgot that this is a Z-105/2.8 thread......but still there are some references back to the Z......on how other lenses compare to it.....

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2022, 12:12:05 »
Nice image!

An image like this from Laowa homepage is that also a stack or can this be obtained with a single frame?
They claim that the wide angle design gives better DOF.
Lens is CA-free it seems.

Of course the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 is NOT a wide-angle lens. And depth of field is just a function of image magnification and aperture setting. People are confused by thinking in terms of a short focal length automatically means 'wide angle of view'. That is not true.

No idea what setting the referred image had. At 2.5X or higher, even stopping down the lens fully will not give much increase of depth-of-field, just make the image softer.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2022, 12:35:52 »
It is a shame they don't have more information on how the sample images are obtained if they were stacked and which aperture was used etc.

Just above the spider sample image Laowa claims this which confused me a bit:

"Wide-angle design with magnification range from 2.5 to 5X benefits the high magnification design by providing greater depth of field compared to telephoto or long lens designs. Moreover, manual focus operation for precise control over focusing distance when working with close-up subjects."

Must believe that the spider image is a single frame else it would be "false marketing". A fine lens anyway and not expensive.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2022, 13:48:19 »
The image is probably a single frame, agreed.

The advertising blurb is pure nonsense, not unusual these days. You do not gain any more depth of field by using a shorter focal length, with the caveat that a ultra-short focal length say << 1mm might add a little extra. What you might get is an uglier bokeh.

Just because the Laowa is 25mm does not entail it is a wide-angle lens. Using shorter focal lengths for higher magnification simply means you need less extension.

Below are the 105MC (background, to 1X) and in front the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 (2.5-5X), Olympus OM 38mm f/2.8 (1.5-2.5X), and AFD Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 (to 1X). The Laowa and Olympus have a Laowa LED ring light in front, very practical unless the subject is wet (then you get ugly reflections). The frontline lenses each sits on a dedicated FTZ adapter.

I have used the Olympus lens a lot in the field as it is a very robust construction well suited to field abuse. The Laowa likely would stand up to field use, but its magnification range is too high.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2022, 20:36:43 »
The Olympus lens I don't know.

I have noticed the optional LED ring light which can be purchased together with a Laowa lens. I wonder how it is powered. Probably a battery somewhere.

I had a "sleeping" macro project which I now have activated and ordered the parts to be able to make this setup with a 9000 ED Scanner lens:
https://www.closeuphotography.com/scanner-nikkor-ed-lens

The review of the Laowa 25mm ultra macro lens at closeuphotography is not ready yet it seems.

The Componon 28/4 also looks good for macro work (with or without M). A shame I don't have any of those. 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2022, 21:00:22 »
The Laowa ring light is powered by any external 5V USB source. You could use a Powerbank, or run a USB connection to the nearest computer or USB power supply. I use a special cable with on/off switch and a dimmer.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2022, 23:00:33 »
Sorry if it has been asked before, but has anyone tried the MC 105mm with a 6T close-up ring, reversed or otherwise?

Ah, I see the topic was mentioned on dpreview, though the 5t.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4622703
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2022, 01:19:47 »
The Canon screw on close up lenses that are approximately equivalent to the 5T and 6T are also worth considering.  They are called 250D (+4 dioptres) and 500D (+2 dioptres) and they are doublets.  About $US75 new here in Australia for a 52mm version.  Sizes also include 77mm versions, which are much more expensive.
Hugh Gunn

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2022, 05:55:40 »
Sorry if it has been asked before, but has anyone tried the MC 105mm with a 6T close-up ring, reversed or otherwise?

Ah, I see the topic was mentioned on dpreview, though the 5t.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4622703

I have those Nikon rings and the Canon 500D and am sure, without trying, that nothing as good as the natural lens itself will result. At least for my work, those close up lenses seldom improve a lens. I understand why you might want to try them, and I have done the same, but those lenses sit unused in a drawer at this point. Let me know what you find out and show me something better for using them. I would use other lenses with greater magnification instead.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2022, 12:58:10 »
OK. as soon as I am able to ruminate through the relevantr bins for the 5T/6T, I'll give these a spin on my 105 MC.

In fact, the only one of possible interest would be the 6T, as the 5T is reported to give only 1.3X and the small increase over the native lens is not worth its while.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2022, 20:36:22 »
Found 3T and 4T, still looking for the bigger brothers 5T/6T.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2022, 13:52:36 »
Well, it’s less than ten days until the Spring Equinox, but here in northern Michigan, it is still snow, and if it warms even a little, it refreezes, and we have solid ice for a time. It’s way too soon for any flowers outside, so a few from a local flower shop will have to do.

I continue to be impressed by the Nikkon Z 105mm Macro S lens. For less than $1000, this lens competes with the best lenses I’ve got, and I have a great many close-up and macro lenses. And it is auto-focus, which means I can stack focus in-camera if I choose.

I always struggle to suggest a close-up/macro lens for beginner. Yet, this it is. Perhaps a wee bit expensive for a newbie, yet totally worth it.

Here are a couple from yesterday with this lens.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2022, 13:19:41 »
I continue to appreciate the Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 S Macro Lens.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2022, 13:51:09 »
Just got my copy a couple of days ago, the testing is not yet started, but my first impression is ok.
It is very light to my surprise.
Very few dealers have it in stock here in Denmark.