Author Topic: The Cape Wrath Trail, 30 years on.  (Read 2632 times)

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The Cape Wrath Trail, 30 years on.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 19:00:20 »
Nice pictures, here, which reminds me an unforgettable tour to Torridon with our ''guide'' Dave Paterson".

Thank you, Francis - I hope you are well. I also think quite often of that get-together - it was very enjoyable, most members got some good images, and it was the last time I was able to get properly up into the hills.

But how about another Scottish get-together? I could still do the organising, and perhaps some of the activities. 

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 11:19:13 »
But how about another Scottish get-together? I could still do the organising, and perhaps some of the activities. 

Without hesitation!
When we come back all with normal life... ;)

Francis Devrainne

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 11:40:31 »
Hi, Dave !

I am just realizing you are our Scottish friend ! ;D ;D.
I had to re-read the whole thread to understand, after the clue you gave when you said you'd still organizing a get-together in Scotland.
I didn't know you had to change your pseudo...
At least, I have good news from you!
Francis.

Francis Devrainne

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 10:53:22 »
Hi, Dave !

I am just realizing you are our Scottish friend ! ;D ;D .
I had to re-read the whole thread to understand, after the clue you gave when you said you'd still organizing a get-together in Scotland.
I didn't know you had to change your pseudo...
At least, I have good news from you!
Francis.
JA is looking into Daves accounts here on NG to help sort out any log in issues for Dave so he gets to post as himself again  ;)
Erik Lund

rosko

• NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 15:30:55 »
Great ! ;)
Francis Devrainne

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 22:30:10 »

I would immediately join.
Bruno Schröder

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 22:32:56 »

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 22:35:19 »
With Dave we already have almost half the 2019 team!
Bruno Schröder

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 09:11:29 »
Sign me up as well.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 13:06:36 »
That Scotland could be so popular - I am very happy. But in these days of pandemic (and Russian aggression?) life, and therefore travel, has become a little more complicated than when we had our last Scottish get-together. Anyway, February is not the month to come here; the modern Scottish winter cannot be relied on to produce anything except cold, rainy misery. I suggest May.

As my experiences prove, when first walking the Cape Wrath Trail, the Scottish mountains can get snow in any month, and  May can have fresh snow down to any level. But this is rare and I don't really think we would be troubled by snow. May is one of the more reliable months.

Since the Cape Wrath Trail had a part in bringing us together again, it would be nice to find a location somewhere on the line of the walk. Scotland's two international airports are some distance from the start of the trail - Fort William - 170km (105 miles) - but we already managed a get-together in Kintail which is on the trail, well to the north of The Fort. So all things are possible.

I will keep in touch with Birna, our organiser-in-chief, and I suggest that members who are interested in joining should PM me. I will maintain a iist, and when we have an idea of how many are likely to join I will start looking for accomodation.

How exciting! 

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 15:06:54 »
"Exciting" is an understatement. There have been far too many photons hitting the Earth since our last NG meet-up.

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 18:33:25 »
Birna - thanks for your support - I will need it. Thanks also to all who have posted here, and even more thanks to those who have already declared an interest in a Scottish get-together.  The last time we were in Scotland, our week was centred in beautiful Kintail. This time I suggest we should head further north, and base ourselves in or near Ullapool, an attractive and popular fishing village. This will put us on the doorstep of one of the most dramatic and unique landscapes anywhere - Assynt and Coigach.  It has often been said that the mountains here rise from the surrounding moorland like prehistoric monsters rising from the primeval swamp, snd I would go along with that. This is a very special place.
     Basing ourselves in Assynt/Coigach means longer drives from or back to the airport (Glasgow is best), but no time is wasted. The airport is on the north side of the city, so when you clear the airport perimeter you are quitting the city, and beautiful Loch Lomond is only a half-hour away. The road continues through fine montane scenery, incl. the mountains above historic Glencoe, the Mamore Range and distant views of Scotland's highest mountain, Ben Nevis. On the way, it happens that you will pass fairly close to my home in Killin and my very own Tarmachan Hills - mine in the sense that I get fine views of them, and make images of them, from our garden.
     So - is it to be the north-west Highlands?

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 19:21:50 »
How could I resist that view ... absolutely fine for me.
Bruno Schröder

dgpno2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 19:56:56 »
How could I resist that view ... absolutely fine for me.

That is one we shall pass by, if the north-west Highlands remains our objective. However, here is something of the prehistoric monsters rising from the swamp - this is a part of the Coigach and Assynt landscape -