Gear Talk > Camera Talk

What's next for Z6, Z7, and Z50 bodies?

(1/7) > >>

RobOK:
I have been enjoying my Z6 tremendously and have not felt a need to move to the Z6 II. I may at some point go higher megapixel to a Z7.

Has Nikon announced (or rumored) the mark III versions? Are they expected this year?

Same question on the Z50. I like the idea of a light walkabout and tried out the Zfc version of the Z50 but I did not like the lack of grip. I love my Df but liked it better with a grip added.

So are there any plans on the next iterations of these bodies?

Thanks!

Jan Anne:
Current (semi) pro bodies usually have a 2 year lifecycle so I expect the MKIII models to be announced in Q3 this year and available on the market in Q4:
- Z6/7: August 2018
- Z6/7II: Oct 2020
- Z6/7III: Q3 2022??

RobOK:
Thanks Jan....

Any speculation on the Z6 III and what it might offer?

Jack Dahlgren:

--- Quote from: RobOK on January 21, 2022, 22:34:23 ---Thanks Jan....

--- End quote ---

I'd expect that Nikon will try to bring the capabilities like subject tracking further across the range of cameras. To do this there are some architectural changes to the electronics needed (the parallel viewer/storage pipeline for example) and likely new sensors, but once they have that, the software side can be amortized across the full line of cameras. Z6 was originally positioned as video capable with the Z7 as high res stills. This may persist and maybe Z6 gets video enhancements as well - and maybe body changes somewhat to support better cooling for the inevitable increase in heat. I think these changes are likely not visible on the surface.

Jan Anne:

--- Quote from: RobOK on January 21, 2022, 22:34:23 ---Thanks Jan....

--- End quote ---
Pure speculation but highly likely:
- Expeed 7 processor from the Z9 for faster processing and handling speeds
- 24-33MP BMS sensor (Sony a7IV went to 33MP)
- Bird eye, animal, human, car, etc tracking
- Much faster autofocus but slower (tracking) than the Z9 because of the non stacked sensor
- Higher framerate at 14bit RAW due to faster processor
- Even longer exposures than the 15 minute limit without a remote (personal wish)
- Slight higher DR
- Even cleaner noise performance when they stick with 24MP or equal to the current models if they bump the MP’s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version