Author Topic: AF-S DX NIKKOR 10–24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Needs 3rd Party Service  (Read 812 times)

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Hello,

I purchased a used copy of this lens from a user in Japan for a good price.  I would like to get it serviced here in the US.  Nikon USA won't touch it as it was originally purchased in Japan.

There is nothing wrong with the lens.  It just is just not focusing as sharp as it should with my D7100 body.  I have used other copies of the lens on my D7100 with much better results.

I would like the lens optically aligned and calibrated.

Any impressions of Midwest Camera Repair in Michigan?

Thanks!
Jeff

ianwatson

Re: AF-S DX NIKKOR 10–24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Needs 3rd Party Service
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 22:20:15 »
I used them once to service an AI Nikkor whose focusing ring felt very gritty. I was pleased with the customer service and the restored lens.

Their reputation is very good.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 23:02:43 »
Hi Ian,

Did you have any trouble getting your gear serviced cross the border?

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 04:48:43 »
Thanks for the feedback!  I appreciate it.  I likely will send it to them when I get the lens back from Nikon USA.  I should have looked deeper before I leapt.  I remember a while back that Nikon was servicing all equipment no matter origin if out of warranty and of course with the end user paying for repair/service.  It is what it is.  I am hopeful that Midwest will be able to do their magic and nothing will be too far amiss as to require a significant repair.

ianwatson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:06:12 »
Jeff, my memory was faulty. I used Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, Illinois.

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com

Zang, it was no trouble at all. On the customs form write "Photo equipment for service. To be returned to sender afterwards." Or something similar.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 22:53:00 »
Thanks Ian for the hint.

Jeff, you said it does not focus as well as it should, did you try manual focusing to rule out optical issues from focusing issue?

mncorrado

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 20:29:38 »
I did not... I get the lens back from Nikon USA tomorrow.  I will try manually focusing the lens and report back.