Author Topic: Capture One 22 HDR test  (Read 1703 times)

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
Capture One 22 HDR test
« on: January 02, 2022, 17:25:35 »
Yesterday I shot this image as a test for the new (very basic) HDR function in Capture One 22. Three handheld images shot at -2/0/+2 EV.

Nikon Z6 + Nikkor Z 24-70mm f4 S

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Capture One 22 HDR test
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 19:34:48 »
Luc, the image looks interesting because of various elements contained in this single frame.  That said, I would think that the lighting condition of this scene doesn't seem to need HDR.  Z6 should be able to handle it in one shot...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 22:33:27 »
Maybe interesting to see how it compares to a single exposure to see the difference?
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 23:12:55 »
Luc,

I habitually delay updating software a few months with few exceptions. I have questions regarding Capture One 22. Have you shot HDR (or tried stitching) images in conditions that might produce ghosting (movement due to significant wind or other causes- also light changing from frame to frame?)  Has you observed any smearing in the HDR (or stitch) results? If so has C1 offered a patch?

I've seen and read, (and also heard on a C1 video from early December) comments that a function to remove/minimize ghosting was not, at that time, available.

It does appear that C1 22 HDR might be useful for static subjects at this point as it appears to have produced a considerable improvement in IQ in some images well beyond what can be done with sliders, curves, colors etc.

thanks,

Bob

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 07:49:07 »
Maybe interesting to see how it compares to a single exposure to see the difference?
Hi JA, I"ll post a comparison later this week.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 08:06:08 »
Looks clean to me tastefully done!

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 17:32:58 »
Luc, the image looks interesting because of various elements contained in this single frame.  That said, I would think that the lighting condition of this scene doesn't seem to need HDR.  Z6 should be able to handle it in one shot...

I've processed the 0 EV image for a comparison with the HDR processed.

#1 Unprocessed image

#2 Processed image

#3 Processed image HDR

Capture One settings for the #2 Processed image

So it seems (as Akira more or less predicted) HDR doesn't really add a lot for this image. The HDR function in C1 is very basic, just options for Auto Adjust and Auto Align.
I guess the HDR function can be more valuable for more critical images. I''ll try to shoot a few of these and report my findings.

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 17:36:50 »
Luc,

I habitually delay updating software a few months with few exceptions. I have questions regarding Capture One 22. Have you shot HDR (or tried stitching) images in conditions that might produce ghosting (movement due to significant wind or other causes- also light changing from frame to frame?)  Has you observed any smearing in the HDR (or stitch) results? If so has C1 offered a patch?

I've seen and read, (and also heard on a C1 video from early December) comments that a function to remove/minimize ghosting was not, at that time, available.

It does appear that C1 22 HDR might be useful for static subjects at this point as it appears to have produced a considerable improvement in IQ in some images well beyond what can be done with sliders, curves, colors etc.

thanks,

Bob

Bob, I've not shot anything critical for ghosting. But as the HDR function in C1 appears very basic just Default or optional Auto Adjust and Auto Align I have no high hopes for anything smarter beyond that.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 19:54:48 »
Thanks Luc, the results are pretty much as expected as the DR is now between 11 and 12 stops for most cameras whereas it used to be only 7.8EV for the good old D200 which most of us probably had back in the day. A scenario where it might be beneficial is shots taken through a window where the outside is much brighter than inside.

Don’t think I ever bothered with multiple exposure HDR processing after moving to the D800E from the D3s, the jump in detail and DR was simply mind blowing at the time with only minor improvements with newer cameras.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 00:42:49 »
Thanks for your comment Luc.

It does look as if you've gained DR by processing this way. C1 is the best software I've tried for pulling up shadows cleanly. I'm not certain that you could have processed your reference image in C1 21 to get the result that you did without using HDR as is available in C1 22.

I'd not be surprised to see functionality improvements offered either as updates to C1 22 or next year in v23 for both HDR and stitching.

Bob

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 01:51:33 »
Luc, thank you for taking time to make these comparisons.  Apparently, you kind of proved the excellent DR of the current full-frame camera and your own processing skill I always admire even when you use the "lowly" m4/3 cameras.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 22:37:27 »
Thanks Luc, the results are pretty much as expected as the DR is now between 11 and 12 stops for most cameras whereas it used to be only 7.8EV for the good old D200 which most of us probably had back in the day. A scenario where it might be beneficial is shots taken through a window where the outside is much brighter than inside.

Don’t think I ever bothered with multiple exposure HDR processing after moving to the D800E from the D3s, the jump in detail and DR was simply mind blowing at the time with only minor improvements with newer cameras.
https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

Hi JA, the window scenario is indeed a much better one. Nice graph showing the DR of these cameras!

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 22:38:21 »
Luc, thank you for taking time to make these comparisons.  Apparently, you kind of proved the excellent DR of the current full-frame camera and your own processing skill I always admire even when you use the "lowly" m4/3 cameras.

You're welcome Akira. And thanks a lot for your generous comment on the processing.