Author Topic: Copy Stand and Image Copying  (Read 1309 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Copy Stand and Image Copying
« on: January 02, 2022, 17:15:41 »
My other thread, Angle Finder DR-3 was drifting off topic and given that is my main interest I have started a new less specific topic.

I have a large number of photographic prints I need to digitise, I did the transparencies a couple of years ago.  I have been bracing myself for this somewhat arduous task but now is the time, winter and cold/damp outside I can't stand the cold like I used to so may as well get on with something indoors.

I had an enlarger which I had been using in the past, but felt it was too flimsy, so I replaced the plywood base with a polished piece of thick green slate about two feet (600mm) square and about two inches (50mm) thick.  It's very heavy, almost 40 Kg!  I also inserted a piece of 29mm solid stainless bar inside the column, bonded in with epoxy resin, which adds mass and rigidity.

I am trying to make it as easy and efficient as possible.  In the past I have used Sofortbild software to control the camera which pretty well gives me full control of making the exposures with the D800 from my computer, even gives me a histogram as the image comes up on the screen.

I tried to download Sofortbild some days ago but it's only available from the Mac App store and that wasn't playing ball.  However I just tried again and it worked, I have made some trial exposures and it seems good.

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Copy Stand and Image Copying
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 22:47:15 »
In my other DR-3 thread there were several suggestions to utilise the HDMI output and be able to view the rear screen info and live view via an external monitor.  I just rigged that and it works perfectly, I can magnify and focus very acccuratly using a large monitor on my desk.  This, together with Sofortbild should be a good combination for getting a lot of images copied successfully and easily.

I am not accustomed to using the live view so it will take a little getting used to and the ability to adjust the exposure and see the histogram in Sofortbild immediately after the exposure will be welcome.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Kim Pilegaard

• "Nikea"
  • NG Supporter
  • Copenhagen
    • Profile at Nature Photographers in Denmark
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 08:57:41 »
Why not use Nikons own software Camera Control Pro?
Kim

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 10:05:20 »

That's not free software.

I'm using CCPro2 myself, plus Digital Camera Control. The latter is freeware and can work with my D3200 which is not supported by the Nikon software. CCPro2 is the more mature and stable program, though.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 11:22:01 »

I am a cheapskate?  LOL   ;D

I did use it, years ago, I think a free trial?  Then I found Sofortbild and liked it.  I am a Mac user both by definition as I use only Apple computers and since I switched from Windows 3.1? to Mac in 1988 or thereabouts I will only use user-cuddly software.  I have found all Nikon software klunky (workarounds and messing with hidden settings, just to accomplish simple tasks) and anything but user friendly.   Knowing that software doesn't HAVE to be klunky, I avoid it like the plague.

Your experience may of course vary from mine...  ;D

Robert
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 12:15:24 »
It does :)

paul hofseth

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 15:19:07 »
I am reluctant to post semi trivial info in the same thread as  such a select group of posters as the Nerds.

Here, however, is my totally amateur approach in brief.

I do of course use a computer for viewing while focussing, but only have experience with optical copying by taking snaps of slides a few years ago using an old Olympus double bellows with a Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon , My prints are simply flatbedscanned using the very flexible and capable Vuescan program made and maintained by mr. Hamrich.

p.