Author Topic: Nikon DR-3 Right Angle Finder Attatchment  (Read 1880 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Nikon DR-3 Right Angle Finder Attatchment
« on: January 01, 2022, 16:38:33 »
Hi folks, Happy New Year to everybody.

I have been setting up a vertical photo copy stand over the holiday.  It works well, very rigid, I have made over sixty copies of prints so far but I am struggling to see through the viewfinder easily, I think is I were able to use my DR-3 right angle attachment it might make it much easier to align the image and check the settings through the viewfinder.  I am using my D800, the DR-3 is not intended to fit a D800, but instead a DR-5 should be used, I understand.  I can't justify north of £300 when I already almost have what I need.

The eyepiece of the D800 is not threaded around the viewfinder lens, there is a knurled flange which 'seems' to unscrew but it's very tight initially, when slackened it then it goes very tight again as I try to unscrew it, so tight that I am not inclined to force it.

My plan is to make a simple adaptor to clip onto the eyepiece flange, then screw the Nikon DR-3 into it.  If the DR-3 is held in position over the viewfinder I can see a perfectly acceptable view of the image and the settings etc. as I would had I been looking normally through the viewfinder.

The extension, which is already screwed into the DR-3 has an 19mm thread (it actually measures 18.83mm) I am assuming the pitch is 0.7mm, very difficult to measure because there are only a couple of threads to engage.

Any comments or suggestions please, is the eyepiece flange supposed to unscrew or am I best advised to leave well alone?
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
Re: Nikon DR-3 Right Angle Finder Attatchment
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 18:56:01 »
Just a random thought - why not just tether the D800 to the Macpro?

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 21:16:15 »
Hi folks, Happy New Year to everybody.

I have been setting up a vertical photo copy stand over the holiday.  It works well, very rigid, I have made over sixty copies of prints so far but I am struggling to see through the viewfinder easily, I think is I were able to use my DR-3 right angle attachment it might make it much easier to align the image and check the settings through the viewfinder.  I am using my D800, the DR-3 is not intended to fit a D800, but instead a DR-5 should be used, I understand.  I can't justify north of £300 when I already almost have what I need.

The eyepiece of the D800 is not threaded around the viewfinder lens, there is a knurled flange which 'seems' to unscrew but it's very tight initially, when slackened it then it goes very tight again as I try to unscrew it, so tight that I am not inclined to force it.
Happy new year to you too! If the D800 eyepiece is like on the D500, you need to activate the viewfinder shutter to unscrew the eyepiece. That is actually a nice feature that prevents the eyepiece or a mounted DK-17M to unscrew itself and become lost.

My plan is to make a simple adaptor to clip onto the eyepiece flange, then screw the Nikon DR-3 into it.  If the DR-3 is held in position over the viewfinder I can see a perfectly acceptable view of the image and the settings etc. as I would had I been looking normally through the viewfinder.

The extension, which is already screwed into the DR-3 has an 19mm thread (it actually measures 18.83mm) I am assuming the pitch is 0.7mm, very difficult to measure because there are only a couple of threads to engage.

Any comments or suggestions please, is the eyepiece flange supposed to unscrew or am I best advised to leave well alone?

The adapter you are looking for came with the DR-4 (in addition to the one you have). It is called DK-12 and looks the same but has the wider thread that fits the D800 series/D500 viewfinder and will replace the eyepiece which is just plain glass. (The extension that came with DR-3 is called DK-13 and fits the earlier cameras like the F2.) When I bought my DR-4 and DR-3 on ebay I noticed a few of those DK-12 adapters or replacements for it being announced. They were priced relatively high compared to the complete DR-3/DR-4 which then was in the $25-$35 range.
Øivind Tøien

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 21:23:01 »
A body that can "flip-out" the screen would be useful?
But what about placing the repro stand on the floor so it is possible to look down into the viewfinder?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 23:14:10 »
Happy New Year and welcome back, Robert!

I've had a vague memory of the adapter Øivind mentions.

But, wouldn't a mirror set above the back of the camera at an angle so that you can see the live view of the LCD screen?  Of course, the image is reversed, but it could be less of a problem for the copy work...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 00:25:33 »
The DR-3/DR-4 are have excellent optics and should work very well in the depicted copy stand. A search for 'Nikon DK-12' on Ebay reveals that there is also a smaller adapter, DK-1 DK-7, from 19mm thread to 21mm threads which might fit your DK-13 extension piece. Prices for these DR finders seem to have gone up (about $50 for DR-3) but that little adapter seems to be about $20 or so.
Øivind Tøien

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 00:56:22 »
Just a random thought - why not just tether the D800 to the Macpro?

Hi Chris, that was my intention, I went to the sofortbild website hoping to d/l a copy of his excellent tethering software but only find a link to the Apple  appstore, the Apple d/l does not seem to work and there are many complaints about it, so it seems to be a pre-existing issue.

I could use LightRooms built in tethering but it generates a DNG file, which I don't like, I prefer an NEF file please!  I am not giving up on sofortbild, I may have a copy somewhere or some kind soul may have a copy squireled away.  That isn't major concern right now because I can tfr the files via sneakernet, eventually tethered is preferred.

I still need to view the screen prior to exposing the image because I still need to check framing and focus, not to mention pesky reflections from some glossy prints.

Øivind, Thanks for your good wishes and input, I will try the shutter lock, that may well be the answer.  It's my intention to turn something up on the lathe, a little delicate but not impossible.  I will check out the other info, thanks.

Akira, thanks for the greetings, yes I am back, I never really went away, I call by every day!

A small mirror for the screen is a good idea, may well work, at least in the short term.  Thanks for the idea, at least until I can get something else sorted.  I get confused enough having to put the original with the bottom away from me to align with the bottom of the camera facing the column, either that or I have to flip them in LightRoom.  I have quite a lot of prints to copy so it's worth getting it sorted properly.

Meper, I think the D800 can output HDMI, I have a spare monitor...  Putting the stand on the floor was my intention but my legs don't agree, I can't kneel down easily nowadays and the whole thing is VERY HEAVY, by design!

Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 01:33:37 »
Happy new year to you too! If the D800 eyepiece is like on the D500, you need to activate the viewfinder shutter to unscrew the eyepiece. That is actually a nice feature that prevents the eyepiece or a mounted DK-17M to unscrew itself and become lost.

Øivind, you were right, brilliant, close the eyepiece shutter and the eyepiece unscrews perfectly.  I guess it's to stop people getting foreign objects, dust etc. into the pentaprism void.

The thread into the body/pentaprism must be nominal 22mm, because the thread o/d is 21.83, I haven't checked the pitch but they are usually 0.7mm pitch but not always...  Given only two threads engagement, I don't think it's critical...
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 01:39:31 »
A far better solution for framing and focusing with a Nikon D800 will be an HDMI cable to a modest 20 inch computer flat screen. I setup such but haven't use it in some time. Using the HDMI cable and computer flat screen the image that is shown on the back of your D800 will show on your computer flat screen also. You'll need a 3 to 6 foot (1 to 2 meter) HDMI cable that fits you D800 and computer monitor. I believe that's all you'll need. No software is involved. No computer is involved.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Has anyone else tried this? Have I missed something? I hope to see additional comments on this approach.

----

I've owned the Nikon DR-3 and currently own all of the Nikon DW-2, etc. 6x finders for the F/F2, F3, F4 and F5. I ordered a Nikon DW-2 finder the day I learned about it and picked it up and the western Nikon center the very same day. The 6x finders are beautiful. They offer an apparent 5x7" view that is very bright.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf3ver2/finders/finder3.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/NikonF5/viewfinder/index.htm

Anyway these only fit Nikon F through Nikon F5.

Dave

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 01:54:47 »
Øivind, you were right, brilliant, close the eyepiece shutter and the eyepiece unscrews perfectly.  I guess it's to stop people getting foreign objects, dust etc. into the pentaprism void.

The thread into the body/pentaprism must be nominal 22mm, because the thread o/d is 21.83, I haven't checked the pitch but they are usually 0.7mm pitch but not always...  Given only two threads engagement, I don't think it's critical...

Correction: It looks like the simple adapter without extension is the DK-7 according to this list: https://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/RtAngleFind_050511.pdf
I have corrected it above.

However also see this DPR post. It seems the adapter that replace DK-7, the DK-18 is the one to go for, or simply just a DK-12 that connects directly: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56579760
The DK-7 adaptor is out of question. Ones screwed tightly (and usually has to) it is extremely difficult, up to impossible to unscrew it without any damage.

The DK-18 that came to replace the DK-7 for the aforementioned reason, needs to be screwed and unscrewed separately from the DR-3, so you waste precious time when on the field.
Øivind Tøien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 13:43:36 »
A far better solution for framing and focusing with a Nikon D800 will be an HDMI cable to a modest 20 inch computer flat screen. I setup such but haven't use it in some time. Using the HDMI cable and computer flat screen the image that is shown on the back of your D800 will show on your computer flat screen also. You'll need a 3 to 6 foot (1 to 2 meter) HDMI cable that fits you D800 and computer monitor. I believe that's all you'll need. No software is involved. No computer is involved.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Yes, indeed Dave,  a big help, thanks.  I already have this lead it seems.  I rummaged through my box of audio/video leads and I have at least two suitable leads, plus various adaptors.  I will try it later when I have re-organised my desk.

Correction: It looks like the simple adapter without extension is the DK-7 according to this list: https://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/RtAngleFind_050511.pdf
I have corrected it above.

However also see this DPR post. It seems the adapter that replace DK-7, the DK-18 is the one to go for, or simply just a DK-12 that connects directly: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56579760

Thanks for the update Øivind, I do intend to persue both paths, even if I don't use the DR-3 with the copy stand, it will still be very useful for the D800 in astro photography.  I originaly got the DR-3 to use with my Polar mount to align Polaris. I made a simple adaptor to clamp onto the polar finder.  The ability to use it for other tasks fits well with me.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK