Author Topic: The Fagradalsfjall volcano was not dead after all - yet  (Read 3122 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
The Fagradalsfjall volcano was not dead after all - yet
« on: November 01, 2021, 00:29:15 »

At the end of my work travel/summer vacation mid September I found that my travel schedule back to the U.S. required a stopover in Iceland. As things developed, my one flightless day became two when my original flight to Iceland was canceled/shifted a day early on very short notice. I had already booked a tour with volcano hike for the one day in the somewhat slim hope there would still be activity in the volcano, and decided to also use the evening on the extra first day for another volcano hike. That was a lucky choice as it was later reported that the pulsating activity of the volcano had resumed 1 hour before the start time (5 PM) of my first tour after being very sporadic for 10 days, and the nighttime view with the glowing lava was much nicer than than during the later mid-day hike. Further, the day after I left Iceland a surge in the lava flow over-run one of the hiking paths causing the need for some evacuations by rescue services, and the whole area was closed for tourists for the first day. The overrun path was permanently closed. Then less than a week later (September 18) the activity pretty much completely died and has not resumed since,  https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2021/10/25/eruption_about_to_expire/.

As there have been so many fantastic photos published of the eruption from drones and otherwise, and since the rim of the crater no longer offered a direct view into the cater as in the beginning, my expectations were pretty low for the photography. I was mostly there for the experience and some nice hikes. I used a combination of D500, AW1 and my Pixel 3 cell phone for the captures.

There was about a 1 hour hike up the best view of the volcano with the first well fit group. The path was well established up the steep hills but then became rougher and vanished once the terrain flattened out.

The size of the lava fields were quite impressive

Then at destination, an the enormous lava field was spead out in all directions, with lava gloving everywhere and sprouts of lava here and there.

At regular intervals the glow from the volcano itself ramped up and if one were lucky one could capture some quick sprouts of lava from the volcano itself.

Telephoto optics was heavily affected by heat waves from the hot lava.

It was hard to not blow out the glowing lava in the dark. The stitched cell phone image (#8) failed miserably at it with no adjustment possible, but even when underexposing heavily with D500 it was hard if any of the surrounding terrain was to be shown.

The hike back in the dark was "interesting" over the rough terrain as the handed out head lamps were quite inadequate. I was happy I brought my own, others used their cell phones. But it was a quite memorable hike I will remember for a long time after the fantastic experience up a the glowing lava field that cannot fully be illustrated by the photos.

Øivind Tøien

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The Fagradalsfjall volcano was not dead after all - yet
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 00:52:38 »
Excellent series and story to go with the photos! Thank you for sharing

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 03:13:35 »
+1 from me. 

Clearly a hike that you will always remember.

Your series comes to us at a time when similar eruptions are occurring in the Canary Islands.  Mother nature still has a few tricks up her sleeves!

Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 03:51:48 »
I think you are a bit too humble about the assessment of the spectacular scenes you captured.

I always feel a bit guilty to appreciate the images of natural wonder that has potentiality to cause personal sufferings, no matter how beautiful and exciting it appears.  Of course, I have absolutely no intention of blaming you to take part in the hike and share the images from it, but I always hope there would be no such sufferings.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 03:51:58 »
These eruptions may have something to do with the Grand Solar Minimum. I sure hope the San Andreas Fault doesn't cut loose.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 06:41:23 »
Very nice series thank you!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 08:36:51 »
Very nice series despite the hot air issues!
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 09:53:50 »
+1

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 09:55:30 »
+2

Enjoyed the series throughout but the last one is my favorite

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 10:52:40 »

Thanks all of you for the enthusiastic comments!

Akira, there is no need to feel guilty of enjoying this instance of a volcano - no inhabited areas were affected and the locals had quite a show with it and are quite used to that landscapes can change. Those living in the closest place, Grindavík, are pretty happy that it now most likely has gone permanently quiet without lava getting far enough to overflow the road and communication to the community.

But I see what you mean with the Las Palmas volcano being a lot more destructive.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 11:42:37 »
Øivind, thank you for explaining the situation.  Although I know that the Icelandic people are accustomed to live with the volcanoes, I'm relieved.

Incidentally, two major volcanoes are errupting in Japan.  Sakurajima island is relatively close to the habitat, and the floatstones spouted out from it are going down south as far as to the northern bays of Okinawa and contaminate them.  Another one (Nishinoshima island) used to be a seafloor volcano, but it has emerged as a solid island and is still erupting regularly and growing.  That's why I'm concerned.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 18:08:23 »
Thanks for sharing, Øivind. I appreciated the commentary as well as the photos. The scenes ranged from interesting to fascinating to amazing.

Lars Hansen

• NG Member
  • Zealand, Denmark
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 18:34:34 »
Great timing indeed and what a fantastic experience it must have been - fascinating and dramatic photos!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 07:51:26 »

Thanks Bill and Hans for the kind comments. It sure was a unique experience. Perhaps a 51 sec live video with stationary camera can transmit a little more of that experience:
https://otoien.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-11/o190588485/c1/p3505037572-200.mp4

(It was very windy, so a lot of noise on the sound channel of the D500.)
Øivind Tøien

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 08:26:54 »
Impressive documentary serial.