Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

Run a 16 bit Install Program on 64 bit Windows 10 (Is this possible?)

<< < (3/3)

janvaran:
There is a compatibility setting for running (older) programs in Win10.
Right Click setup.exe, and look for something like "Troubleshoot Compatibility", sorry I have noe English Win10, the exact text is unknown to me...
Have you tried this?

Edit.
Or maybe your answer is here, https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

/Jan

David H. Hartman:
I'm not so much interested in exploring the passed as I want to install the vintage Windows 95 - 98 SE Fsync.exe as it allows me to maintain backups without the danger of accidentally "Syncing" a target drive and over-writing good files with corrupt ones or deleting files on files on the target that were accidentally deleted from the source.

Dave

---

I was hoping someone knew of a Silver Bullet.  :)

Bob Foster:
David--- No silver bullet!

The problem is the CPU, it won't natively execute a 16 bit program.. Yes, it's possible with control of the OS manifest and use of MS Fondue to build a crude emulator using much of the old Virtual XP mode.

It's much easier to use dosbox for DOS and Windows 3.1.1.

As you want to run a program designed for W95, W98, and W98SE VMware is the way to go.

FWIW, I prefer to deal with backup/sync manually. For Windows I use a program called Beyond Compare that can be set to check the integrity of your backups. I have one online and three offline backups. One of the offline backups is to a box running the Free BSD OS. There I use ftp for file transfer.

Bob

David H. Hartman:
Bob,

Thank you. I'll have to try Beyond Compare. It looks someone like the program I've been using. It also runs on Windows and MAC which is a plus.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version