Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 54719 times)

chambeshi

Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2022, 12:26:52 »
Explanation of Z9 Shooting Banks - the latest incarnation of these features as implemented on the pro ILCs...somewhat long winded, detailed explanations of how to setup and use the Nikon Shooting Banks: how they work etc. He skimped over Extended Banks. I don't struggle with having to reset a bank, and I often need to switch between banks as fast as possible..... so  the idea of designating Bank A as one's 'Working Bank' is impracticable.

https://youtu.be/ioFl9nPJhUc

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2022, 12:50:10 »
Explanation of Z9 Shooting Banks - the latest incarnation of these features as implemented on the pro ILCs...somewhat long winded, detailed explanations of how to setup and use the Nikon Shooting Banks: how they work etc. He skimped over Extended Banks, and I don't struggle with having to reset a bank, and I often need to switch between banks as fast as possible. So  the idea of designating Bank A as one's 'Working Bank' is impracticable.

https://youtu.be/ioFl9nPJhUc

Well with Z9s shooting bank Nikon brings back what the SLR seris offers and the Z-series was missing so far (the U1-U3 arrangement was no proper replacement). So far i was  using two of those and switching, i am considering extended use
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2022, 12:54:29 »
My dealer let me pick the "best" serial number which as a nod to my friend Paco ended in 13 (!)
Congratulations! Looking forward to your findings ;)
I'm down with Covid - Very light symptoms so I hope it stays like that!
Erik Lund

chambeshi

« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2022, 14:51:29 »
Yes, long overdue in the Z system. As are the broader range of custom settings

The Z9 also allows setting up 4 different i-Menus under respective custom banks. I have no experience with the D6, but it should allow similar

Well with Z9s shooting bank Nikon brings back what the SLR seris offers and the Z-series was missing so far (the U1-U3 arrangement was no proper replacement). So far i was  using two of those and switching, i am considering extended use

chambeshi

« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2022, 15:30:43 »
Fair amount about the 400 f2.8S TC, including very fast and highly precise AF.... and interview with Brad Hill on Z9 the etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbihhKomBlk

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2022, 16:41:49 »
Congratulations! Looking forward to your findings ;)

Ouch -- cross fingers and stay safe, my friend.

The Z9 takes every Nikkor in its stride, so far.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2022, 17:39:06 »

Hope you get well soon, Erik!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2022, 19:29:17 »
Get well soon, hope it will stay light.

chambeshi

« Reply #308 on: January 28, 2022, 07:48:06 »
Hudson Henry testing the Z9 tracking on seabirds and kite surfers....

Useful advice on Custom configuration of AF settings in the Shooting banks

https://youtu.be/HEMQ9KkeUVs

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #309 on: January 28, 2022, 09:13:46 »
AF with my native Z lenses certainly appears to be reliable and as fast as the lens itself allows. It works for static subjects, vehicles, and people in motion. No pets to test the "Animal eyes" feature with, though.

Most of my existing "F" Nikkors are manual-focus so the AF performance on Z9 is moot. However, brief tests with the AFS 200/2 & 300/2.8 indicated full functionality and no surprises.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2022, 16:44:57 »
Yes, long overdue in the Z system. As are the broader range of custom settings

The Z9 also allows setting up 4 different i-Menus under respective custom banks. I have no experience with the D6, but it should allow similar

The D6 indeed does allow 4 different i-Menus, one for each shooting bank, just like the Z9.
So far I did not use the i-Menu at all (in any camera) as it did not appear to make too much sense to me _ i was more relying on MY MENU
What you can alternatively put in the i-menu is limited again.
Use of i-menu might change as the Z9 puts the standard metering-mode-setting only there (you can program one of the four FN buttons as well, and you have recall shooting options)
There is no more metering button- instead of D6s three buttons on the top left the Z9 has got four-but metering mode was skipped and Bracketing and Flash Button came in instead (doubtful decision). With the D6 you could configure BKT and Metering button to fulfill other functions, with the Z9 one can't.

So the general situation is that  some but not all functions are in the Menu, some can only adressed in the i-Menu but not in the Menu, i-Menu cant replace My Menu, some functions are available on dedicated buttons only  and it needs a high level of sophistication which functions can assigned to a Fn Button (the Z9 has great improvement here) - this could be improved.

Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2022, 08:11:45 »
One thing that might help with a special setting that can’t be assigned to a button or I-menu is to put it at the top of the my menu, and then assign a button to access the first item in the my menu. This allows almost anything to be assigned to a button even if it is not in the list of functions which can be assigned to buttons.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2022, 09:54:41 »
One thing that might help with a special setting that can’t be assigned to a button or I-menu is to put it at the top of the my menu, and then assign a button to access the first item in the my menu. This allows almost anything to be assigned to a button even if it is not in the list of functions which can be assigned to buttons.

That's a very good approach. But it requires the function to be accessible via menu otherwise it does not work. Swithing from single to serial shot on a Z6 is an example where this fails
Wolfgang Rehm

chambeshi

« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2022, 12:32:59 »
That's a very good approach. But it requires the function to be accessible via menu otherwise it does not work. Swithing from single to serial shot on a Z6 is an example where this fails
Yes I do similar on D5 and D850 to change shooting banks

chambeshi

« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2022, 12:39:04 »
Thanks for these comparisons. I find the i-menu becomes practical only with a EVF - even muscle memory is trained up to press the right controls. Nikon's latest set of iterations with the Z9 (compared to pro DSLRs) does seem to have fixed some gaps; but weirdly they have dropped features that work really well. The big one for me is an exposure mode cannot be assigned to a Fn control (eg spot-metering) which has been standard on many ILCs.

Utterly bizarre how Nikon unfixes what works and so many photographers rely on, and this is across many genres.

The D6 indeed does allow 4 different i-Menus, one for each shooting bank, just like the Z9.
So far I did not use the i-Menu at all (in any camera) as it did not appear to make too much sense to me _ i was more relying on MY MENU
What you can alternatively put in the i-menu is limited again.
Use of i-menu might change as the Z9 puts the standard metering-mode-setting only there (you can program one of the four FN buttons as well, and you have recall shooting options)
There is no more metering button- instead of D6s three buttons on the top left the Z9 has got four-but metering mode was skipped and Bracketing and Flash Button came in instead (doubtful decision). With the D6 you could configure BKT and Metering button to fulfill other functions, with the Z9 one can't.

So the general situation is that  some but not all functions are in the Menu, some can only adressed in the i-Menu but not in the Menu, i-Menu cant replace My Menu, some functions are available on dedicated buttons only  and it needs a high level of sophistication which functions can assigned to a Fn Button (the Z9 has great improvement here) - this could be improved.