Author Topic: Z9 Release Thread  (Read 54724 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: Z9 Release Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2021, 18:31:13 »
Due to a typo Nikonrumors has corrected this number to 3500 per month, taht means approx 10 years to meet a request of 400000 units

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/06/update-the-monthly-nikon-z9-production-is-3500-cameras.aspx/

A mere rumour, nevertheless, reports are increasing of unprecedented orders for the Z9 (eg Grays of Westminter >100 and climbing...)

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/05/report-nikon-producing-35000-z9-camera-per-month-rumor-400000-existing-z9-pre-orders-plus-more-z9-coverage.aspx/
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2021, 18:45:47 »
Due to a typo Nikonrumors has corrected this number to 3500 per month, taht means approx 10 years to meet a request of 400000 units

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/11/06/update-the-monthly-nikon-z9-production-is-3500-cameras.aspx/

It seems likely that the 400k figure is just someone's wild fantasy. These expensive high-end bodies don't sell in large numbers. The 3500 per month seems realistic as I recall 8000 for D3 and 80000 for D300 once upon a time.

I simply do not believe that 400 thousand people are willing to pay six thousand euros for a single camera body. What might be possible that 400k people would buy a follow-up model in the 2000-3000€ price class in the form of a Z6 III or Z7 III with Expeed 7 giving some of the AF benefits trickled down from the Z9. I look forward to that happening.

However, in any case, the Z9 will likely improve Nikon's brand and restore faith in the future in the system and also in part restore the second hand market value of many F-mount lenses as it has been shown that the Z9 autofocuses these better than ever, at least in daylight. Hopefully also in low light the performance will be good.  I am glad that I've been stubborn in not even considering the sale of my 200/2 and similar lenses and instead have strengthened my set of fast F-mount lenses. Now it seems that these will have lasting value for years and even decades to come, even in the situation that the majority of cameras sold are mirrorless in the future. In shorter focal lengths I can see the optical benefits of Z mount, for example, the 35/1.8 Z S is quite a wonderful lens. But I feel the F-mount fast telephotos are about as perfect as lenses come, and I quite like the image aesthetics from them. Yes, there will be improvements in the future and better focusing and VR systems, but I no longer think that a lot of these excellent lenses will collect dust, instead they will continue to be put into use.

This return of brand value likely helps Nikon sell a lot of less expensive products and hopefully much of the Z9's power can be implemented in lower-cost bodies that the majority of photoraphers can eventually (hopefully soon!) enjoy.

If it did turn out true that they have 400k preorders then they would need to find a way to increase production capacity dramatically (assuming the 3500 per month is true); I find it hard to believe people would wait for a decade or more for delivery.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2021, 19:43:56 »
I have to assume that the 400K number would include multiple orders for a single individual, so the actual number that will be sold will be significantly less.  Buyers will take whichever order comes in first, and the other orders that they placed  will be diverted to other customers.

Randy

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2021, 20:24:19 »
Referring to the infamous D3 moment and looking at the known SNs on Roland's site -
The D3/D3s sold around 140k+ units over several years, the D850 stands close to 250k bodies after 4 years on the market.
I believe the Z9 will potentially achieve much higher sales numbers but 400k pre-orders sound rather fishy.
Time will tell.
Another Austrian Terminator in California

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2021, 21:19:00 »
It seems likely that the 400k figure is just someone's wild fantasy. These expensive high-end bodies don't sell in large numbers. The 3500 per month seems realistic as I recall 8000 for D3 and 80000 for D300 once upon a time.

I simply do not believe that 400 thousand people are willing to pay six thousand euros for a single camera body.
If it did turn out true that they have 400k preorders then they would need to find a way to increase production capacity dramatically (assuming the 3500 per month is true); I find it hard to believe people would wait for a decade or more for delivery.

I just took the number as it was, that does not say that i find it very probable

What might be possible that 400k people would buy a follow-up model in the 2000-3000€ price class in the form of a Z6 III or Z7 III with Expeed 7 giving some of the AF benefits trickled down from the Z9. I look forward to that happening.

Hope these will get better ergonomics than th Z6/7 I and II series

However, in any case, the Z9 will likely improve Nikon's brand and restore faith in the future in the system and also in part restore the second hand market value of many F-mount lenses as it has been shown that the Z9 autofocuses these better than ever, at least in daylight. Hopefully also in low light the performance will be good.  I am glad that I've been stubborn in not even considering the sale of my 200/2 and similar lenses and instead have strengthened my set of fast F-mount lenses. Now it seems that these will have lasting value for years and even decades to come, even in the situation that the majority of cameras sold are mirrorless in the future. In shorter focal lengths I can see the optical benefits of Z mount, for example, the 35/1.8 Z S is quite a wonderful lens. But I feel the F-mount fast telephotos are about as perfect as lenses come, and I quite like the image aesthetics from them. Yes, there will be improvements in the future and better focusing and VR systems, but I no longer think that a lot of these excellent lenses will collect dust, instead they will continue to be put into use.

I fully agree to that
Have a lot of F-lenses including fast telephotos including the 200/2 and looking forward to use them both with my SLRs and the Z9
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2021, 01:52:32 »
Regarding pre-orders I’m certain that many people put in prime-orders at multiple shops and will only buy the one that comes available first. I’d guess a smaller number are still on the fence and may drop their order when the money is really on the table. A group of scalpers is also to be expected. I’d put real demand around 1/3 or 1/4 of that number. maybe 2/5?

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2021, 08:19:10 »
I guess everyone saw this update about a bit of a cock-up in the numbers. The assumption is that pre-orders also had a zero added …

Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2021, 10:32:09 »
I wrote about this and posted the same link above

I guess everyone saw this update about a bit of a cock-up in the numbers. The assumption is that pre-orders also had a zero added …

And yes there is a certain possibility but that would tend towards increasing the numbers on purpose rather than having two typos of the same kind
Wolfgang Rehm

iustin

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • homepage
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2021, 23:02:14 »
I wrote about this and posted the same link above

And yes there is a certain possibility but that would tend towards increasing the numbers on purpose rather than having two typos of the same kind

While normally I'd agree, in this case there's a half-plausible explanation. In Japanese (maybe other Asian languages), thousand-multiples are not normally used, but rather 10 thousand multiples. So when talking about 40,000 things, you'd use 4万  (4×10,000) and not like in western languages, 40×1000. It appears (I read this on NR) that the original numbers reported were 3.5千 (=35K) / 40千 (=40K), but the translator? source? misread those as the much more usual 3.5万  / 40万  which would be 35K and 400K, respectively.

Meh, I don't really care myself, since how many units Nikon produces is not impacting me - what's more important to me is how soon the camera will in the hands of more people (to see more hands-on reviews).

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2021, 23:12:35 »

The next Morten Hilmer movie with the Z9, this time with Svalbard polar bear encounter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbDUvb69Pc&ab_channel=MortenHilmer
Øivind Tøien

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2021, 13:08:30 »
The next Morten Hilmer movie with the Z9, this time with Svalbard polar bear encounter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLbDUvb69Pc&ab_channel=MortenHilmer

This is a superb piece of documentary. Certainly reminds us that being a wildlife photographer isn't always glamorous (or safe!)

Part of me wondered if they'd used the Z9 to shoot the video, but in several sections you see other people with other equipment (e.g. 19:30)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2021, 12:50:13 »
This is a superb piece of documentary. Certainly reminds us that being a wildlife photographer isn't always glamorous (or safe!)

IMO being able to photograph polar bears and icebergs is pretty glamorous compared to an office job. ;-)

Part of me wondered if they'd used the Z9 to shoot the video, but in several sections you see other people with other equipment (e.g. 19:30)

It's a bit confusing in these videos, what was shot with what. There are stills (presumably from the Z9) and video shot with different cameras. It would be nice if they stated the camera used as it's part of Nikon's marketing material for the Z9, basically.

Nice atmosphere though, with rain and sleet and all. :-)

chambeshi

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:31 »
1st. The first section of ~30 mins has details with examples of the AF, menu settings to indicate frame captures when shooting Silent, and EVF. the more useful information starts after about 2min preamble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZwCavu_D-o

2nd. There's less hype in this personal account. It is very good to see the Z9 has rubber control dials. Another confirmation on the reliability of the AF; first overview i've seen of Timelapses, HDR, Multiple Exposures etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZV76lzkCTM

3rd. Adding in this post for convenience. Nikon Days: Benefits of the Z 9 | What makes it a Nikon flagship camera?
He covers some of the less obvious customization features. Nikon have packed a lot of features under the hood of this camera, which will take much time to explore and try out etc. I'm looking forward to this!

I stand to be corrected, but in the concluding remarks about Video, after ~36mins, he describes how 33mp RAW stills [7680 x 4320] can be retrieved from footage taken @24,26 and 30 fps. Effectively, this can be leveraged as continuous mRAW shooting yielding stiils & video. What is basically 8.2mp sRAW can be captured as higher speeds (60, 100, 120fps @3840 x 2160).

Again he repeats future firmware will expand features, notably for Z9 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxRBE1hJmDw

This was screened live last week. You may have to register with Nikon Europe to view https://nikondays.nikoneurope.com/2021/en

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2021, 19:01:49 »
Hmm, ISO performance is with the current pre production firmware a little behind the Z7II and miles behind the Z6II:
https://youtu.be/_im4K3yBoz4
Cheers,
Jan Anne