Author Topic: Glossy or matte screen for photo editing - your experiences?  (Read 3976 times)

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Glossy or matte screen for photo editing - your experiences?
« on: September 19, 2021, 13:36:15 »
I'm about to upgrade my laptop, and I'm hesitating between a matte and a glossy screen. Most laptop reviews are written for gamers or people who watch films on the screen; I would like to hear the opinions and experiences of photographers - that's why I'm asking you.

With a glossy screen - will I see reflections of myself when I'm editing dark photographs?

The laptop I'm considering (an HP Zbook Studio) is available with both IPS and OLED displays. Which type of display do you prefer for photography work?

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Glossy or matte screen for photo editing - your experiences?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 15:50:12 »
Glossy and an appropriate lighting and background. Matte screens wipe out the dynamic of the image. My feeling at least.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 17:51:45 »
Glossy and an appropriate lighting and background. Matte screens wipe out the dynamic of the image. My feeling at least.

I agree with glossy screen. The editing environment is very important. Dim color corrected light matched to monitory helps considerably. No sunlight.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 23:37:29 »
My best experience so far is with a glossy one (M$ Surface Pro 4). Glossy, and hi-res.
Airy Magnien

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 00:12:17 »

Just to balance this a bit, always non-glossy screens for me. I have a window situated across the room in the direction behind my work station, and glossy screens would have caused annoying reflections.
Øivind Tøien

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 01:29:11 »
I now swear by monitor hoods. Like night and day!
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 06:02:03 »
I have a window situated across the room in the direction behind my work station, and glossy screens would have caused annoying reflections.

A window that is not covered, e.g. Venetian blinds means the color temperature of the light in the room changes during the days skewing your perception of light. I strongly suggest covering the window and excluding all light in the room other than a dim, perhaps single 40w 48" high color rendering tube. You want all light in the room to match your monitor. None of this is my idea. I'd give some links but it's been so long.

Based on what I read I use a single tube over my head and a bit forward in such a position that it does not cast light on my monitor. I wear a baseball cap or visor to keep that light out of my peripheral vision.

Without any changes try covering that window as the changing color temp of the light outside messes with your color perception. Also you don't want any strong colors in front of you or even in peripheral vision. Try looking at a red poster board for a minute or so and then look at your monitor to see how this messes with your color perception.

None of this is my idea. I read several articles on how to setup a photo editing environment.

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 06:03:16 »

I agree.

Dave

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 20:59:18 »

Just to add to Snoogly and David's comments, when I've seen sports photographers editing the work during the day at outside events, they always have hoods around their laptop screens.

One further question Termite:
Unless this is just for occasional edits or use on the move, is there any reason you won't use an external monitor?

I've seen so many people develop neck, wrist and posture problems by trying to use a laptop in a desktop environment. Of course, if you're going to be doing this whilst working away from home, in cafes or hotels, I can understand though.

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 21:17:37 »
"Unless this is just for occasional edits or use on the move, is there any reason you won't use an external monitor? "

I had this idea that I could buy a really good laptop that would do all I ever need (after all, there are laptops with 100 % Adobe RGB), but after a visit to the camera/computer store today, I realized that many pros use an external monitor.

Also - thanks for all your comments!

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 01:42:19 »
This point may have come up in this discussion and I missed it, but a friend who is a painter once explained to me the benefit of northern light. My computer is in such a spot where the light is indirect and complements without fighting what’s on my screen/canvas (sic). Still should calibrate my screen more often.

At night/dusk/etc, small desk lamps properly situated.

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 03:17:20 »
 I recommend glossy and a controlled environment and lighting. I once had both thinking the matte would be preferable but I simply never got used to it. Sure, if the glossy is turned just right, or has specific lighting it can be a slight issue - however, there are ways to get around that. You can't un-matte a matte screen.

Regards,
Tom

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 07:55:03 »
"Unless this is just for occasional edits or use on the move, is there any reason you won't use an external monitor? "

I had this idea that I could buy a really good laptop that would do all I ever need (after all, there are laptops with 100 % Adobe RGB), but after a visit to the camera/computer store today, I realized that many pros use an external monitor.

Also - thanks for all your comments!

I’m travelling 160 days a year, for the moment. So, an external monitor would only be workable at home. But I prefer to do my editing on the same screen. Therefore I have an MBP calibrated to DCI-P3 color space, which is a good in between for what I am doing. I’m travelling with a DataColor Spyder X Pro probe for color calibration and brightness adjustment purposes.

I see some of my colleagues using hoods, even in the media room. But I suspect it’s more for confidentiality purposes than for editing.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 10:37:00 »
Matte screen with Screen Hood and a black T-Shirt.

I would not edit important stills or video on a laptop.

N.B. Check your output to make sure the colour profile is embedded.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 13:26:53 »
Matte screen with Screen Hood and a black T-Shirt.

I would not edit important stills or video on a laptop.

N.B. Check your output to make sure the colour profile is embedded.

Black T-shirt, balaclava, and gloves when taking pictures in an airplane cockpit. You know my position with regard to matte screens.

In the era of social media, real-time publication, there is little alternative to a laptop. The best edited picture, published a day late, lost all its value. But if I’m preparing a book, definitely other tools.

Yes.  ;)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν