Author Topic: Back to USSR  (Read 1469 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Back to USSR
« on: August 27, 2021, 19:03:01 »
Df, Helios 44M (58/2) adapted for infinity focus on F mount.
f/2, f/8, f/2, f/8. At f/2, sharpness off center drops rapidly. I have yet to test if that's related to field curvature (very unlikely though) or other things. One nice thing with the lens is the low distortion. Less nize is the haze (poor coatings).
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Back to USSR
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 19:04:56 »
... and a few more, all f/8 I guess.
Airy Magnien

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 17:12:39 »
Great shots!
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 19:08:14 »
Looks like a very good sample.  I like #2 and #4 of the first set and #3 of the second.  The blue color of the window panes in #1 of the second set looks beautiful.

I have tried four samples of M42 mount Industar-50 (50mm/f3.5 Tessar-type lens), and all showed a clearly oblique focal plane (about 20% of the left part looked blurry even at f11).  I like its tender rendition and bokeh when the lens is used wide open, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 09:28:21 »
Very vintage look and feel! Turn them B&W and the illusion is complete ;)
Erik Lund

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 09:34:48 »
Indeed. But, as this is the "lens" section, I'd rather publish in color, especially here as they are rendered in a peculiar way.
Airy Magnien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 13:57:33 »
Airy good series to show i personally like image #4 the best.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 15:33:41 »
Airy good series to show i personally like image #4 the best.
Yes, I agree.

I like those colours.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 22:20:02 »
I got inspired and tried my old Helios 44 on Z50 via a modified M42 adapter. My Helios 44 was made for Soviet SLR with M39 thread.
It is an old one with serial no. starting with 50. So I guess from 1950 if numbered the usual Russian way.

I find the lens sharp stopped down. Have not tested much at full aperture. The last image is a 100 crop of the former showing that it is a good performer.
Colors seems quite saturated?
I did not add any saturation in the raw conversion.

I also have a Russian "Start" SLR (Start is the brand) which has a Helios 44 as standard lens. This is the "famous" 13-apertureblade version. But I don't think any adapter has been made to convert the Start-bayonet to something that can be used on a Nikon. 

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 22:37:03 »
One more example to check sharpness when lens is stopped down (a 100% crop is added).
Also here saturated colors. Sun was low on sky which helps.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 22:48:18 »
After checking sharpness I think the first 100% crop does not show what the lens can do. They might be a bit of camera shake due to the long distance and hand holding the camera.
The first image is a bit sharper and this has the same persons at the dinning table in the frame. Just to justify the lens......first image and 100% crop here again.

I think most use the lens for the special bokeh. Have not done any of those pictures yet.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 23:17:45 »
Those Helios 44 seem to be very sharp once stopped down, and also sharp wide open but *only in the center*, and at *short distances*. I remember having been amazed by the results at f/2 from MFD to about 1.5 meter, but off axis (at any distance) or beyond a couple of meters, the results wide open are not nice at all. Not surprizingly, this lens is appreciated for +/- centered portraits...
Airy Magnien

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 23:53:58 »
I am not sure I am a very big fan of the special bokeh used wide open. But stopped down I think I am a fan of the sharpness.
The Helios-40 (85/1.5) is also a special lens and is also sharp stopped down. Center sharpness sharp enough for portraits. I think I like the bokeh of that lens better but have not used it much.
Also have a lens called "Mir-1" which is a 37/2.8. So far never tried it. Also based on a Zeiss design as far as I remember.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 22:52:47 »
This is also "Back to USSR". First time I tried my MIR-1 37/2.8 lens. An early silver M39 version from 1968. The sharpness of Helios-44 was a bit of a surprise and I think MIR-1 is same quality.
Also a Zeiss copy. Flektogon clone it seems.....6 lenses in 4 groups.

I had it on Z50 for a short work tonight and attached three shots + 100% crops of each.

Anybody out there with some experience with this lens?

It was for me a positive experience.