Author Topic: D5 vs D850 in silent mode - banding  (Read 1063 times)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D5 vs D850 in silent mode - banding
« on: August 19, 2021, 18:20:03 »
Does anybody know why I almost never get banding (indoors) with the D5 in silent mode (LV), but much more often with D850?

Of course it’s Nef (D850) vs 5mp joeg (D5), but even still?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D5 vs D850 in silent mode - banding
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 18:35:34 »
Does anybody know why I almost never get banding (indoors) with the D5 in silent mode (LV), but much more often with D850?

Of course it’s Nef (D850) vs 5mp joeg (D5), but even still?

Possibly the D5 sensor has a faster read time? This wouldn't be surprising given that it's a high-speed and not a high-resolution camera.

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 19:15:25 »

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 20:16:09 »
Possibly the D5 sensor has a faster read time? This wouldn't be surprising given that it's a high-speed and not a high-resolution camera.

Thanks, Ilkka!

Yes, that seems logical.

Sometimes I'd like to get a few more MP in that mode. I wonder how the D6 perform in this regard? If so it would be almost a perfect camera for me; OVF and being able to shoot in silent mode with enough MP (no need when photographing action, only stationary subjects).

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 17:30:37 »
Slightly off topic.

This brought flashbacks of my D70 and taking photo's of candles and bright lights. :o But the real issue with my D70 wasn't the banding, it was the back-focus that I never had taken care of. In retrospect I didn't send it in for repair/adjustment because "I didn't want to miss any photos", these are the same photos that are still out of focus to this day...  ::) Lesson learned.

Hopefully the banding doesn't occur often!