Author Topic: Z9 specifications  (Read 1677 times)

chambeshi

Z9 specifications
« on: August 10, 2021, 19:48:42 »
Well....
https://nikonrumors.com/2021/08/10/new-nikon-z9-monster-specs-leaked-announcement-expected-in-the-next-two-months-nikon-basically-combined-the-d6-and-d850-and-made-it-mirrorless.aspx/#more-159891

some additional details on the upcoming Nikon Z9 mirrorless cameras:

8256 x 5504px resolution that confirms a 45MP stacked sensor (it is interesting to note that Canon decided to go with a 24MP sensor for their R3 camera).
The Z9 will be capable of up to 120 fps in a lower res file size (6Mb I think). Some reports even indicated 160 fps!
Built-in GPS – probably GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System).
The Z9 will use the same battery as D6. There will be also a new 18-type battery (EN-EL18x) that can be charged by the camera’s USB-C.
The sensor has multi leaf blade protective shutter that auto covers sensor when switched off/changing lens to stop dust and dirt on naked sensor.
The Z9 will have car autofocus in addition to animal and people AF as well as low light -7 EV.
Improved 3D tracking.
Improved articulated screen that even works in portrait mode – it is a completely new design.
New style locking flap for the two CFExpress memory cards.
Third joystick/selector added to use whilst camera close face and shooting.
Many new menu features to tweak and match your shooting style.
The shutter release sound level can be adjusted from silent to loud… so you can still get that D6 machine gun sound…
The official announcement is expected in the next 2 months, but do not expect many cameras to ship before the end of the year. Because of part shortage, the waiting time for the Z9 is expected to be very long.

Previously rumored Nikon Z9 specs:

Newly developed 45MP high-resolution stacked FX sensor
30 fps
Integrated vertical grip handle
The Z9 is described as a D6 body combined with EOS R5 imaging, α9II AF, and blackout-free EVF
Nikon confirmed that the Z9 will be better than the D6
Multishot-mode
16-bit RAW option
8k30p, 4k120/60/30p (support for 8K video recording)
New EXPEED image-processing engine designed for 8k (newly developed Imaging Pipeline Processor to broaden sensor readout emphasizing speed)
Improved AF (Object detection AF)
“Stunning” AF tracking (better than the D6)
Advanced real-time tracking
Two XQD/CFX type B memory card slots
ISO 64 – 25,600, Hi1, Hi2
Improved noise levels and specifically significantly better dynamic range
High resolution, blackout-free EVF: probably 5.76 MP or maybe even 9k MP viewfinder, 120 Hz refresh rate (the resolution can be reduced to increase the refresh rate)
New user interface (no second LCD screen on the back like the D6)
New battery: Nikon EN-EL18x
Gbit LAN, USB-C, WiFi, GPS, built-in transmitter
Price: $6,000 – $7,000
Scheduled to be tested in August
Rumored to be announced in November/December (no exact shipping date available so far)
With the Z9 Nikon basically combined the D6 and D850 and made it mirrorless…

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z9 specifications
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 19:54:35 »
Ok, Nikon has my attention now.  :D

T+5 years before the price is low enough that I can justify purchasing it haha.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 21:12:46 »
Definitely worth paying attention.
If It meets the expectations and I can afford it (I hope I will be able to), I dont need to justify it further.
Wolfgang Rehm

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 00:44:18 »
This will have to be the "D3 with the sensor from the D800" that I have wanted since forever (about 8 years now).
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 00:54:51 »
This will have to be the "D3 with the sensor from the D800" that I have wanted since forever (about 8 years now).

^^ :) Exactly!! With some extras thrown in for good measure.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 13:40:44 »
I pre-ordered the Z9 the very first day this was feasible with my dealer.

Specifications tell just so much, but the overall picture is emerging of a highly competent and feature-packed picture-taking machine. I might not need it, but having it might not hurt anything (except my wallet and back).

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 16:37:46 »
just preordered mine  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 19:47:59 »
OMG you are all enticing me to pre-order it! My wife will hunt me down, I swear haha!   :D

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 10:01:00 »
OMG you are all enticing me to pre-order it! My wife will hunt me down, I swear haha!   :D

I got rid of this « problem » about ten years ago  ;D
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2021, 11:38:04 »
All in all, there is too much speculation to know the detailed specifications besides what Nikon has confirmed in its press release, and reiterated in interviews earlier this year. Nikon's flagship cameras have turned out to be much more than the sum of their tabulated specifications. Superficial receptions of the D6 are a recent example, parroting spec sheets that it was merely a D5s etc. It has taken a few months of intensive shooting by experienced photographers confirmed the AF is a big leap forward, and notably when leveraged on the improved Customization features of the D6....

Nikon has an exemplary record of designing the integrated GNSS, for example, which will fix the locations of images using the new standard of precision in geopositioning.
https://petapixel.com/2021/07/28/nikon-to-launch-first-ever-camera-with-gnss-instead-of-gps-report/

Nikon has a strong record of delivering scientific instruments of the highest quality and reliability. In this case a tough camera that will keep working on external power and log events fixed with its precision GPS - with images sent via wireless links. Besides humanitarian applications, there are many emerging applications across the sciences - these often benefit indeed demand high resolution images of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes
eg Larson, K.M., 2019. Unanticipated uses of the global positioning system. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences, 47, pp.19-40.

This article collates some of the links and context of guesses and more reliable information.
https://petapixel.com/2021/08/10/nikon-z9-to-feature-45mp-bsi-sensor-160-fps-burst-capture-report/

chambeshi

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 11:40:33 »
There's not a mention of the Native ISO Range in this rumoured list? Surprising gap, considering experienced professionals have presumably leaked the latest list of specs.

What is the native ISO range of the Z9 sensor? We know 45mp of Nikon's D850 (and Z7) = 64 - 25600; Z6 = 100 - 51200, D6 = 100 - 102400;
Canon R5 = 100 - 51200, R6 = 100 - 25600;
Sony a1 = 100 - 32000

NR posted ISO 64 – 25,600, but, this was a  Z9 rumour a few months back, long before the Tokyo Games

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 18:24:05 »
I got rid of this « problem » about ten years ago  ;D
Are you volunteering to provide shelter to me haha  ;D

I just added a notification for stock on B&H.  8)