Author Topic: Z6 with Yongnuo triggers?  (Read 2644 times)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Z6 with Yongnuo triggers?
« on: July 27, 2021, 23:16:26 »
I have an existing set of triggers, the YN622N-TX and the corresponding receiver (YB622N). I have used them before with D750. Am trying them with Z6 and can get the test button to work (i.e., the trigger is communicating with the receiver), but I cannot get the Z6 to fire it. The flash is the SB-700 on top of the receiver but I don't think that matters.

I read one answer that said it was not compatible, but it was short.

If I want to trigger my SB-700, either on camera or off camera, what are my options?

(here is the kit: https://www.adorama.com/yn622nk.html)

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z6 with Yongnuo triggers?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 03:13:21 »
I can't speak from experience with any Yongnou unit or the Z6.

Occasionally I do use either one or two SB-700 speedlights (gelled, diffused or not) off camera in manual mode to illuminate a background or as a rim light.

The SB-700 units have been reliably actuated by any flash in every setup I've used.

In my case the primary flash is ordinarily one or more Elinchrom studio strobes usually in a softbox. The Elinchrom units are radio controlled. Your success may vary with your usage.

Bob

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 04:16:31 »
This isn't a recommendation because I have no experience with Godox products but David Hobby "The Strobist" recommends a Godox X2T-N (or other camera maker specific X2T transmitter) and Godox TT600 dumb strobe with X1R receiver built in. Godox also offers a stand alone X1R-N receiver that supports Nikon CLS/AWL speedlights like your SB-700. The X1 system is compatible with many Godox flash units. It's a 2.4gHz radio system with something like a range of 328 feet, 100 meters. I believe the Godox X2T-N transmitter would support your Nikon Z6. You might try searching for a review by Lighting Romours.

Here are a few links...

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-traveling-light.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1468007-REG/godox_x2tn_x2_2_4_ghz_ttl.html/specs

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1341962-REG/godox_x1r_n_ttl_remote_controller.html

I'm considering a Godox X2T-N transmitter and a few X1R-N receivers but I haven't had any experience with them as yet.

Dave

Here is a link for Lighting Rumours...

https://www.lightingrumours.com/

The speliing "Rumours" is not standard.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 08:13:38 »
I have the earlier version of Yongnuo (602) and it works flawlessly with the Z6/Z7.  In combination with the Nikon SB-24 and a SB-800 flash.

Be sure to set your SB-700 as  slave when working off-camera.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 10:12:53 »
Same here, no problems with yongnuo but I have happily switched to godox.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 14:19:34 »
I have the earlier version of Yongnuo (602) and it works flawlessly with the Z6/Z7.  In combination with the Nikon SB-24 and a SB-800 flash.

Be sure to set your SB-700 as  slave when working off-camera.

Can you give me a short short recap of your settings? I am generally familiar for how things work, but what worked on my D750 does not seem to work on the Z6?

Thanks in advance!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 16:44:25 »
Can you give me a short short recap of your settings? I am generally familiar for how things work, but what worked on my D750 does not seem to work on the Z6?

Is there provision for updating the firmware on your particular Yongnuo transmitter? If so has it been updated? It sounds to me like your Yongnuo transmitter is older and not compatible with your Nikon Z6. This can happen with reverse engineered accessories. A latter revision of the same model of transmitter might be compatible where an older revision might not.

Dave

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 21:29:26 »
Is there provision for updating the firmware on your particular Yongnuo transmitter?

Dave

I will investigate, not sure that brand does firmware....

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 06:17:42 »
I will investigate, not sure that brand does firmware....

If it doesn't have a USB port you're stuck with the firmware it came with.

Dave

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 08:42:18 »

Thanks in advance!
I don't think there is much difference in settings between the Z6/7 and D750. Important for the Z6/7 is to set d8 off,  apply settings to live view.  For flash I use the M 1/200 Flash Sync Speed.

Triggers: I don't think the firmware should matter, but make sure you have the setting on the transmitters in the receiver (slave) mode. One of the two settings work. (I am travelling right now, so I don't have all the settings here)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 21:16:08 »
I'm curious, was this ever resolved?

Dave

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 17:50:26 »
I'm curious, was this ever resolved?

Dave

Thanks for checking…. I only get sporadic time for my photography endeavors. At that time, i “failed back” to my Df (in quotes as the Df is awesome) and used on camera flash which worked ok, not great. I don’t break out flashes too often so i was rusty.

I will try again with the flash triggers and the Z6, it would be good to know if it was my user error or just not workable.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 17:40:17 »
Just to close the loop on this, it must have been some sort of user error. When I got back to it, i turned everything off, put in fresh batteries, and turned on the flash, the receiver, and then the transmitter and it worked. In researching, I found a statement that the camera has to be in single shot mode, but mine did not need to be. I found reference that the camera could not be in Silent Mode, but mine was not.  I put the flash into TTL mode. The transmitter seems like it can be in either TTL or Manual.

So all in all, it seems to be working now, and not sure what i did to fix it.

This video was helpful as he has the same units with a Z6. (He more recently said he switched to Godox units but has not done a video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_04tbzANY

As well as this suggestion to use the Intervalometer for shooting some self portraits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9DkywuXk4I