Gear Talk > What the Nerds Do

micro-nikkor 200mm f/4 Ai!!!

(1/2) > >>

richardHaw:
https://richardhaw.com/2021/07/23/repair-micro-nikkor-200mm-f-4-ai/

finally got to dismantle one of these :o :o :o

Roland Vink:
Very good article! I used the AI-S version a lot when I used to shoot film, but I don't have so much time for tripod-based macro photography these days so it doesn't get much use. Many of the examples I saw had coating damage around the edge of the front element, it seems to be a common problem with this lens. The lens you have is very early, serial numbers started at 178021, yours is 178097, just the 77th lens made!

richardHaw:

--- Quote from: Roland Vink on July 23, 2021, 10:33:18 ---Very good article! I used the AI-S version a lot when I used to shoot film, but I don't have so much time for tripod-based macro photography these days so it doesn't get much use. Many of the examples I saw had coating damage around the edge of the front element, it seems to be a common problem with this lens. The lens you have is very early, serial numbers started at 178021, yours is 178097, just the 77th lens made!

--- End quote ---

i am looking for a cheap ais to repair  :o :o :o

PS: You can send your lenses here any time!

David H. Hartman:
Capture NX-D's Axial color aberration correction helps with green glow around specular highlights on a bright, pitted aluminum lamp socket and also specular highlights on black plastic of a Nikon rear lens cap. A value of 70 seemed to be enough. This didn't help the green/magenta out of focus blooming. I was only looking at the center at f/8.0 and f/11.

In general I think the 200/4.0 AI Micro should be used at f/5.6 to f/11 or maybe f/16. f/8.0 is my go to aperture for this lens unless I'm looking for more DoF. Image sharpness seems to be OK at f/8.0 using the Standard PC [on a D850] with maybe a touch more than the default sharp, mid sharp and clarity. That's the way I set up the PC(s) for use with the LCD monitor. I do the sharpening from scratch in post.

I wish the 200/4.0 AI Micro was an ED lens.

Dave

richardHaw:
f/8-f/11 seems to be the sweetspot for me :o :o :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version