Author Topic: D700 - CHA error message  (Read 3576 times)

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D700 - CHA error message
« on: July 15, 2021, 15:44:49 »
I hoped this message blinking on the upper display is caused by my old cards - so I bought a new one.
Alas - it appears there still even with a new card insereted. Even after formating it.

Could it be a really the problem of the camera itself? If so - is it solvable?
It started to bother me in last few weeks and I cannot basicaly shoot. Everytime I have to remove card or switch off the camera and hope that it will be fine (which sometimes happen), but unfurtunatelly it doesn´t take long and the error is back.

Some advice or info, please?

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D700 - CHA error message
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 16:02:37 »
I'm not a repair guy but it sounds like this is intermittent.  If so, it could be something as simple as a bit of dust or trash inside the card compartment preventing connection with the card and prong.  You could try using some canned air to blow out the card compartment.  Of course it could be a short in the wiring or a bent prong that only makes contact intermittently.  That would probably require a technician unless you're handy at such things.
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 09:18:55 »
Thank you for the hints. I´ll check it.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 10:09:49 »
I think it's an impossibly expensive fix, or a reasonable one using an honorable fixer.

I think Hong Kong, the Ukraine, and maybe the USA are places to look. Other than that I think a repair is impossible. There are YouTube takedowns, but they enter into virtual reality very quickly.

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 09:41:54 »
Unfortunately - no bent pin.
Even more unfortunately - I was told that due termination of service support for this old model and shortage of spare parts camera is being sent back to me without being repaired.  :-(
I´m in Czech - in case some of you would know that this repair is still posible somewhere around, let me know. Otherwise I will have to start thinking about new camera or shooting more film.  :-)

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 13:29:03 »
D700s with the same fault are being sold on Ebay - so - either sell yours and put the money towards a newer model or buy one with a different fault and use the parts from it to fix yours.

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 13:50:27 »
Yes - I already sent a question to the service if they would be able to do the repair if I would provide them with the spare part myself - and asked which spare parts they would need for it. I wonder ...  :-)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 18:39:31 »
Your money would be better spent on a Nikon D850, D800E, D780 or D750. All of these will out perform the D700 on any criteria. With the D850 and D800E you loose the AA filter which I find a major improvement. If one likes the slight softening of an AA filter for portraits they might explore what is available for sharpening or softening of images using Sharpening, Mid-Range Sharpening and Clarity. One can sharpen eyes while softening skin without major post processing. If file size is a problem buy a larger HD or SSD. With the larger file you get many benefits including the ability to crop deeply. Don't under estimate that advantages of greater dynamic range. 

Some believe there is something special about the image quality of the D700. I believe better understanding and skill in post processing will allow simulating "strait out of camera" results that people like. If one likes the noise of older cameras noise can be added to the images of newer cameras and there are film grain simulating filters and plugins. If repairing this D700 is about a nostalgic attraction to the D700 then I would buy a D700 that is working.

It might be time to consider a Nikon Z7 II or Z6 II if a mirrorless camera would fill your needs.

That's my 2 cents on the repair of a D700 or similar era DSLR.

Dave

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 23:34:07 »
I´m back with some news.
And luckily very good ones.  :-)

2David:
I have no money which I could allocate to a new camera so I was really hoping that repair will be somehow possible.

As I mentioned before, in official Nikon service I was told that due to lack of spare parts repair cannot be done.
Then I contacted some small non-brand service shop and they took the camera to check it.
And today I got it back repaired with the repair price tag $80.  :-D
There were some broken cable connected to the card slot.

So - as there is another thread questioning viability of D700 in 2021 - for sure it is viable.  :-)
I´m so happy to have it back. My wife is having sushi preparation demonstration tomorrow so I can take it with me.

Hooray  :-D

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 00:38:49 »
Great!

Ironically here in Japan such mom and pop repair places don’t seem to exist.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 15:54:34 »
Great new, Petr!

"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2021, 16:24:58 »
Yes :-)
Thank you.

Great!

Ironically here in Japan such mom and pop repair places don’t seem to exist.

Probably you do not need them - if you can get your stuff repaired in the brand shop/services.  :-)

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2021, 19:54:33 »
I don't know how Nikon are going to cope if the new "right to repair" law gets extended to cover cameras. I have found the Nikon authorised repairers most unhelpful when it comes to getting parts for older lenses. In total contrast, Sigma have been brilliant - even rechipping a lens for me for the princely sum of £15 inc postage!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 20:20:34 »
I have found the Nikon authorised repairers most unhelpful when it comes to getting parts for older lenses.

Some years back I heard a story about Nikon USA instructing its repair people to destroy Nikon F2 parts. The object was to increase sales of Nikon F3(s). The story seemed completely credible considering the source and that Nikon was refusing sell to parts to independent camera repair shops parts in violation of California State Law. There was a lawsuit. I had a friend who was an independent camera repairmen who was harmed by Nikon USA's illegal actions. He thought Nikon would loose but in the mean time may independent repair shops would be put out of business. I never heard the outcome.

I like Nikon products but I haven't liked Nikon USA for decades. To further my dislike of Nikon USA I called to find out if a Nikon F3 and MD-4 I bought from KEH.com was Nikon USA imported or gray market. The person I spoke to said, No one here at Nikon will "divulge" that information. Then realizing how stupid that sounded he said there were many independent shops that would repair my Nikon F3 and MD-4 in needed. I had a 14 day window to return the Nikon F3 and MD-4 and would have it they were gray.

Dave

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!