Author Topic: Nikon warranties transferable?  (Read 1280 times)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Nikon warranties transferable?
« on: June 27, 2021, 08:05:30 »
Apologies if this question is a hot potato, but are Nikon warranties transferable?

I’m sure it’s not an easy answer, and probably depends on where you are.

In my case it is in Japan. A Z5 body bought in March, and I didn’t officially ‘register’ it with Nikon using the warranty card or online.

If I sell it privately with the warranty card and receipt, can the new owner take over the warranty?
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon warranties transferable?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 08:19:15 »
If you bought your Z5 brand new at a major retailer in Tokyo, you will be likely to have received an "official" sticker from the retailer to put on the warranty card later on your own.

Unless the camera has long been discontinued, or you've already filled the warranty card, it would be safe to assume that the warranty can be transferred to the next owner.  Not officially, but...  ;)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 08:26:07 »
This was mapcamera. I don’t see a sticker anywhere.

Map now has an extended warranty for a second year, which I assume would not be transferable.

The bummer is that I am selling on Mercari, and I included a photo of the warranty card. So someone asked about transferring the warranty ...

I hate Mercari! It is like a sponge for cheap people and idiots :-(

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 12:34:38 »
This was mapcamera. I don’t see a sticker anywhere.

Map now has an extended warranty for a second year, which I assume would not be transferable.

The bummer is that I am selling on Mercari, and I included a photo of the warranty card. So someone asked about transferring the warranty ...

I hate Mercari! It is like a sponge for cheap people and idiots :-(

I haven't bought brand new stuff at Mapcamera for quite a while.  They might have changed the way they handle the warranty system.

I am keeping distances from any Japanese auction sites, Yahoo or Meracari.  I only use eBay and Reverb for the gadgets relating to musical instruments.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 09:06:02 »
Sigh ... Z5 sold via Mercari. It went quickly after I posted a long description of the Nikon policy about warranty transfers. Of course other sellers have been less than honest about the warranty cards they proudly included photos of. In a very polite, and direct way, I made that very clear!

The Z5 cost me little, as I traded in some lenses and got nice prices for them. Now with the ¥ I got for the Z5, the Z6ii I just ordered was only ¥120,000 on top.

The moral is that one shouldn’t buy the cheapest option (the Z5) just because it’s the cheapest. But of course you don’t learn that until you do it.