Author Topic: 'Don't share or ask for a critique if you can't take criticism...'  (Read 2757 times)

Paolo Navarrete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
When I see your situation was pretty involved and emotional, I would say, don't defend your criticism too hard if you can't handle the photographer's reaction :)

I always know where I should stop to keep myself healthy, people happy and the conversation friendly. Luckily I have never got that far :)

Cheers,
Zang

Paolo Navarrete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
When I see your situation was pretty involved and emotional, I would say, don't defend your criticism too hard if you can't handle the photographer's reaction :)

I always know where I should stop to keep myself healthy, people happy and the conversation friendly. Luckily I have never got that far :)

Cheers,
Zang

Thanks. I've deactivated my FB account as I'm getting carried away by the contagious aggressiveness. The struggle to prevent myself from going back there and hitting him with a bigger ace as he had the last laugh is real but manageable, I just need distractions. As the mods and admins here told me, this site was designed to be as far as from any other social media site/app and I actually like the pre 2010 features and feel. I hope this time I can stay away from FB for a longer time as my other apps and sites require me to log into FB for them to work.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Paolo,

Sad to hear you ran into a jerk. But don’t let yourself get drawn into battle. If someone does not appreciate your critique, just drop it at the first sign and move to something more enjoyable and productive. Maybe only comment on work you like?

Paolo Navarrete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Paolo,

Sad to hear you ran into a jerk. But don’t let yourself get drawn into battle. If someone does not appreciate your critique, just drop it at the first sign and move to something more enjoyable and productive. Maybe only comment on work you like?

That guy was more than a jerk... a 'manyak.' I guess I as lucky that I only ran unto his jerk side, the manyak side is surely worse.

I critique and bring to light mistakes like these. most are obvious errors in editing. some said they edited in their phone which would be ok for global settings but, like on the pc, errors are magnified on phones if you do selective editing, masking, etc. Its easy to leave artifacts, artifacts which are hard to see on the small screen of a phone.

Moderator has removed images - Image is not taken by the author of the post.

Paolo Navarrete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Paolo,

oh and if its a lighting issue like the black hair has merged into the black (far) background or there was a guy who used a ring light to photograph 2 ladies (the lighting was flat and obviously salvaged in editing) as much as I can, I back what I say with links on how to light... like this... http://tips.romanzolin.com/articles/article011.php

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Hi Paolo, lets start with a warm welcome to NG :)

Please be aware we are a neutral zone and in general don’t post and criticize work from people outside the forum from a legal and privacy perspective, don’t want to be in between personal feuds on social media or other fora and definitely don’t allow slandering of other people.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

simsurace

• NG Member
Sorry to hear about your experience.

But I also think you are probably wasting your time offering such detailed critique to people who don't appreciate it (or maybe haven't even asked for it). There are too many bad/mediocre photographs out there to get worked up about it. If someone comes along and asks for critique it is something else entirely, but I would still be careful about how much time/personal involvement you want dedicate to it. If you care about the craft and want to transmit this, maybe it's more effective to offer teaching to interested people, or produce some tutorials? Leading by example will reach those people who want to learn something and improve their craft.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com

Please be aware we are a neutral zone and in general don’t post and criticize work from people outside the forum from a legal and privacy perspective, don’t want to be in between personal feuds on social media or other fora and definitely don’t allow slandering of other people.

Yes, welcome to NikonGear.
Moderation comment:
I agree with JA's statement.
We as moderators will look into this thread, and act accordingly.
Erik Lund

Paolo Navarrete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

thanks. understood.

you're right. what's in facebook should be left in facebook... don't bring it here... i came here to get away from that. your explanation is what i needed.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Fine, don't let this hold you back posting you own pictures ;)
Erik Lund

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
1- Beethoven 5th - Chopin Nocturne - Schopenhauer - Raphael- Picasso - Joe Bloggs and Jane .....etc all have flaws in their work.
Does it make their work less valuable?

2- Critiques or more politely Comments.
When commenting on any work. The correct state of mind is three folds:
a- The whole look of the work
b- Technical evaluation
c- Subjective feelings

3- I don't see any major flaws in this photographer's work.
What irks me is people who make comments for the sake of self deprecation.

4- You want to Critique or Comment or provide an input. you should better be prepared to be put on the spot.

5- Unless you know the conditions and constraints and objective of the shoot. then keep your critiques either to yourself or restricted to enhancing  the image. Explain and advise what the solution can be and don't simply state the obvious which is probably already known to the originator.

6- I had a look at your Flicker account which is mainly snapshots/

If you house is made of glass, don't fight with stones.

Dogman

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
My motto is "perfection is boring". 
"If it's more than a hundred feet from the car, it's not photogenic."--Edward Weston

My Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/197057338@N03/

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
My motto is "perfection is boring".

My photos show that imperfection can be boring too...

But I share the sentiment. Reality is never perfect, and I find beauty in a "truthful" photograph.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I already said the story was quite involved and emotional. Too involved and too emotional to call a constructive one. And I would not care about anyone's "shady" past either...

That is why NG is the last forum I am involved in. Folks are easy going and relaxed here :) Not that we don't care about the quality but we care about the hierarchy of the values in the first place :)

Welcome Paolo. You'll like this community, I am sure.

Cheers,
Zang