Author Topic: D3x Lens Choices Ultra Wide/Wide Angle  (Read 3206 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: D3x Lens Choices Ultra Wide/Wide Angle
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 20:06:49 »
Concerning Zeiss lenses, here's my nutshell review:
Outside your FLs of interest: the 135/2 is overwhelming; the 50/2 Milvus is my best 50mm lens, period (and I have many of them). The 35/2 ZF2, despite being an "old" design, remains quite desirable today as it is extraordinarily good at night photography, among others.

Wide angles: I only have the 25/2 but have not used it for landscaping so far, so (given the warning above) check before buying. Anyway that's not superwide. For landscaping, the 21/2.8 (ZF2 or Milvus) is probably top choice amongst Zeiss, so I hope I'll never come across any 2nd hand copy ;).

I forgot to mention the Nikkor 20/3.5 UD, my oldest lens (probably from 1968). It is indeed insensitive to flare. Good sharpness over the whole field at f/8-f/11, which somewhat restricts it s usage, but that should be OK for landscapes.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2021, 22:51:21 »
Another vote for 20/1.8G which is the best 20mm F-mouint Nikkor, period.

As for 16-35, I think zoom Nikkors tends to show sample variation, and Longzoom has a special talent an hunch to dig out very good samples.  So, you should beware!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2021, 23:52:30 »
Another vote for 20/1.8G which is the best 20mm F-mouint Nikkor, period.

As for 16-35, I think zoom Nikkors tends to show sample variation, and Longzoom has a special talent and hunch to dig out very good samples.  So, you should beware!
  True, indeed!  Thanks, Akira!   LZ

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 23:27:46 »
From D3x or newer body users with increased resolution - I am looking at wide angle primes or zoom lenses for landscape.
Since you want a wideangle lens for landscape, I imagine you will mostly be using the lens stopped well down for increased depth of field and maximum sharpness, somewhere in the range from f/8-11. If so, a zoom might be a better option than a prime. At these smaller apertures, most primes and zooms perform similarly in terms of sharpness. Especially if you mostly use a tripod so you can use slow shutter speeds for sunset and twilight shots. From memory the D3x is not great at higher ISO settings so you have limited scope to bump up the ISO to keep your shutter speeds fast enough for hand-held shooting. A zoom has the advantage that you can accurately frame the scene the way you want, with a prime your ability to "foot-zoom" is usually quite limited :)

You already have the 20mm focal length covered by your AI 20/4 lens. This lens is generally regarded to be a good lens (the AI 20/3.5 might be better in terms of flare resistance). I'm not sure how much you will benefit from the AF-S 20/1.8 since the focal length is the same, unless you need a sharper lens at wider apertures. It would be useful for astro photography or for landscapes where depth of field is not important. For example if most/all of the scene is near infinity you could shoot at f/4 while keeping shutter speeds faster for steady hand-held shots.

Do you prefer using lenses with a manual aperture ring? If so, the only wide zooms are the the AF-S 17-35/2.8 and the older AF-D 18-35/3.5-4.5. If you are happy using "G" lenses and controlling the aperture from the camera, there are plenty of good options, including the AF-S 18-35, 16-35, 14-24, also Tamron 15-30 and Sigma 14-24. It really depends on how much you want to spend, what focal lengths you want to cover, whether you use filters, and how much weight you want to carry :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 08:27:55 »
The 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S is the wide angle zoom in the Nikon lineup.Just be careful when shooting in the sun, not to catch any flares -That is if you don't like flares  8)
Sorry but the the other FX wide angle F-mount zooms are not up to the same IQ IMHO
If you look into wide primes there are so many to choose from. The Nikkor 19mm f/4 PC-E is the best of the bunch there.
Erik Lund

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 20:24:07 »
The 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S is the wide-angle zoom in the Nikon lineup.Just be careful when shooting in the sun, not to catch any flares -That is if you don't like flares  8)
Sorry but the zooms are not up to the same IQ IMHO
If you look into wide primes there are so many to choose from. The Nikkor 19mm f/4 PC-E is the best of the bunch there.
            The Z7, 24-70/4 lens, f4.0, ISO 3200. And a crop, about 200%. Available light, family event. Sorry, no color done,no flash, never, just original, 1/20. 2021-06-19 036 by 2021-06-19 036-2 by longzoom, on Flickrlongzoom, on Flickr

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 20:52:04 »
I was referring to Nikon F-mount! For a D3X
Erik Lund

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 21:38:36 »
Agree!

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 01:26:29 »
Adorama have refurbed 14-24 at a nice price > for a short time!
https://www.adorama.com/nk1424afsr.html
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:32 »
   Understandable. I was confused by your "...The zooms ARE not up..."!   LZ
I have updated my post to make it more clear what I meant ;)
Erik Lund

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 16:21:06 »
I have updated my post to make it more clear what I meant ;)
      Thank you, Erik! So everything now goes to what it belongs!

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2021, 18:26:27 »
I have had great results from the Tokina 17-35/f4. If you don't mind the weird distortion, the OLD nikon 18-35 is a fairly sharp lens.

Not long ago I picked up an Irix 11mm/f4. It even works well with a 1.4, teleconverter, yielding a 15.5mm/f5.6. Perhaps I received a good copy, as I have not concurred with many of internet's negative reviews. I purchased it for close to half price, so my opinion, reflects.

I had both the 2.8, 20mm, Nikons, af and ais. I cared for neither. I use the old 20/f4 and use the hyperfocal scale, for landscape. What I usually try to do is purchase used/(best price/condition,) and if it turns out to be a turd, toss it back, sell it on "that auction site."
The D3x is a wonderful camera, BUT, it is a totally different cam, compared the original D3. (The D3x is the "pro body," with Nikon's highest megapixel count.)
Best Wishes.