Author Topic: micro-nikkor Z  (Read 22124 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: micro-nikkor Z
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2021, 02:19:03 »
If you mean the lily, no stitching, just stacking.
sorry, thats what i meant :o :o :o
is it in-camera or did you  use something like zerene

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2021, 02:38:45 »
sorry, thats what i meant :o :o :o
is it in-camera or did you  use something like zerene

Well, the shots (150) were in camera, but the camera does not stack them. That was Zerene Stacker, my software of choice. I am checking out the in-camera taking of a series for stacking. Here is another 150-image stack done with the Nikon Z7ii. I could get very used to this process, which means I am stuck with an auto-focus lens, of which there are very few great macro lenses that autofocus. Is this one or does this have to be one?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2021, 13:18:46 »
I agree that Nikon should change the user parameters for the focus shift so that the correct parameters are easier to figure out without having to resort to trial and error.

Maybe one way would be to specify the start and end points of the stack (click on the image twice or turn the ring manually and set start and end distances) and the step size should be somehow related to the depth of field in an easy to compute way. For example there could be an option to specify what circle of confusion is acceptable in the final image and then the camera would do the required shots to achieve that.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2021, 13:27:28 »
I agree that Nikon should change the user parameters for the focus shift so that the correct parameters are easier to figure out without having to resort to trial and error.

Maybe one way would be to specify the start and end points of the stack (click on the image twice or turn the ring manually and set start and end distances) and the step size should be somehow related to the depth of field in an easy to compute way. For example there could be an option to specify what circle of confusion is acceptable in the final image and then the camera would do the required shots to achieve that.

True, but one of us could also dedicate a few hours to calculating all this and coming up with a chart that lists the increments by 5 or 10 digits, the magnification, and the depth in mm/inches from front to back. That also might be not that hard to use and could help.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2021, 06:25:53 »

True, but one of us could also dedicate a few hours to calculating all this and coming up with a chart that lists the increments by 5 or 10 digits, the magnification, and the depth in mm/inches from front to back. That also might be not that hard to use and could help.

This would be really helpful

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2021, 02:12:48 »
I can't say that the Z 105 Macro is not sharp!

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2021, 09:44:55 »

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2021, 22:55:43 »
If I recall correctly, one of the disadvantages of the AF-S 105 VR micro is that it has a lot of focal length "breathing" at close range. So, when adjusting the focus at close range the framing was significantly altered, meaning you would have to change the the distance between camera and subject to re-frame correctly, which means having to adjust focus again which throws the framing out again... (to be fair, all macro lenses have this to some degree, I get around it by setting the magnification/framing first, and then moving the whole camera/lens forward and back to achieve focus)

Given that the new Z 105 micro has a broadly similar optical design as the AF-S version and appears to have even more focal length shortening at close range (at 1:1 the focus distance is 24mm shorter), is the focal length breathing at close range a problem with the new lens?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2021, 23:08:24 »
The answer is a resounding no.

To elaborate, 'breathing' is hardly noticeable even down to 1:2. Perhaps one may notice a wee bit around 1:1; however, so far this hasn't bothered me at all. In fact, I had to run a specific test to ascertain whether 'breathing' as such existed at all with this lens.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2021, 01:03:52 »
Thanks Birna, that is very positive. It looks like Nikon has a real winner with the new 105 micro.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2021, 09:11:06 »
Perhaps Nikon had cinematic usage in mind when they designed this lens?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2021, 11:20:03 »
i thought so too.
same sentiments, breathing is prevalent on this and the 50/2.8 in 1:1 or close to that but i guess that asking for too much :o :o :o

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2021, 18:35:47 »

It makes sense that they target as wide a market as possible with this lens. There are still few S line lenses so filling multiple spots (macro, general use, video...) in this focal length will make it quite popular.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2021, 19:12:06 »
It makes sense that they target as wide a market as possible with this lens. There are still few S line lenses so filling multiple spots (macro, general use, video...) in this focal length will make it quite popular.

It displeasing to me that Nikon has failed to fill the spot held by the very popular 105/2.5 AIS Nikkor and all the 105/2.5(s) preceding it. The AF-S 105mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikkor is a poor replacement for the 105/2.5(s) it's a honker and although the new NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro is smaller than the F bayonet lens it's hardly small, light and unobtrusive.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2021, 19:52:24 »
It displeasing to me that Nikon has failed to fill the spot held by the very popular 105/2.5 AIS Nikkor and all the 105/2.5(s) preceding it. The AF-S 105mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikkor is a poor replacement for the 105/2.5(s) it's a honker and although the new NIKKOR Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S Macro is smaller than the F bayonet lens it's hardly small, light and unobtrusive.

Dave

It has been 16 years since that lens was discontinued. I don't think the 5 element lens is making a comeback anytime soon. Even phone cameras are sporting lenses with 7 elements these days.
Good news is there are thousands of used 105mm f/2.5 out there which work better than ever on a wider variety of cameras.