Author Topic: micro-nikkor Z  (Read 22447 times)

rs

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: micro-nikkor Z
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2021, 21:10:02 »
You can get the true image projected by the lens from e.g. dcraw of any raw converter which doesn't obey the instructions regarding distortion correction. Capture One is mentioned as one which also allows turning them off.

Rawtherapee is another which lets you avoid  lens corrections. It also has one of the widest range of debayering options:

http://rawtherapee.com

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2021, 08:45:21 »
        the extending barrel can be a problem in real-world use but nobody was complaining with the older lenses that did the same.
        focus breathing

I‘d be worried about bumping into something and disaligning or scratching the optics. How sturdy is that mechanism? I‘m not worried about that on the 55/2.8 ai-s. That is built like a tank, and the front lens is deep inside a funnel-shaped recess.
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2021, 09:00:40 »
Z cameras produce NEF files which have instructions for distortion and vignetting correction which for some lenses cannot be turned completely off in Adobe or Nikon raw conversion software.

This is unpleasant at the least. Are people voicing their displeasure? I hope makers who force corrections to cover for lens flaws get slammed for this practice.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2021, 11:24:32 »
I‘d be worried about bumping into something and disaligning or scratching the optics. How sturdy is that mechanism? I‘m not worried about that on the 55/2.8 ai-s. That is built like a tank, and the front lens is deep inside a funnel-shaped recess.

it appears more rigid than the F counterpart but still not ideal :o :o :o
the filter size is kind of odd, too ::)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2021, 12:43:20 »
Rawtherapee is another which lets you avoid lens corrections. It also has one of the widest range of debayering options:

http://rawtherapee.com
    Thank you for sharing! One appears as a very useful tool! LZ

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2021, 14:38:54 »
https://richardhaw.com/2021/06/27/review-nikkor-z-mc-50mm-f-2-8/

wow, i wasnt expecting to see some of the things that i mentioned in my own review lol :o :o :o

my "tests" were inconclusive...

i found small amounts of distortion on some photos while i didnt se any on some. we will see next week!

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2021, 14:42:03 »
it appears more rigid than the F counterpart but still not ideal :o :o :o
the filter size is kind of odd, too ::)
Which F lens is that?
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2021, 15:02:34 »

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2021, 17:36:22 »
This is incorrect. Z cameras produce NEF files which have instructions for distortion and vignetting correction which for some lenses cannot be turned completely off in Adobe or Nikon raw conversion software. You can get the true image projected by the lens from e.g. dcraw of any raw converter which doesn't obey the instructions regarding distortion correction. Capture One is mentioned as one which also allows turning them off.

This seems to be standard practice in mirrorless cameras by several brands.

I've never heard this before. I hope companies who do this get slammed in reviews and on forums for this.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2021, 17:53:47 »
https://richardhaw.com/2021/06/27/review-nikkor-z-mc-50mm-f-2-8/

wow, I wasn't expecting to see some of the things that I mentioned in my own review lol :o :o :o

my "tests" were inconclusive...

i found small amounts of distortion on some photos while I didn't see any on some. we will see next week!
  Very nice topic, good observation - to - begin with. One only thing, which you know - there is a very tough choice of engineering of any optical system - a choice between distortions and resolution. In this case, the resolving power is on the top as for today's needs. So, there are AUTO corrections tools, build inside the camera. Let it work!  THX!  LZ

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2021, 01:36:36 »
B&H has shipped both Z Macro lenses, which should arrive this coming Wednesday.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Supporter
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2021, 03:56:47 »
I like this typeface

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2021, 14:37:15 »
Never say never. Norwegian Mail for once lived up to their silly slogan 'we live to deliver' and dropped the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 MC S-Line at my nearest postal service point. To have them deliver to my door step which in fact I had paid for, probably was asking too much ....

Anyway, here it is,

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2021, 14:59:44 »
I'm not in a place right now where images can be processed, so first impressions are just that: gleaned off the camera display. The lens handles pretty well on a Z6. There is no tripod collar but I can easily see a third-party solution to remedy this missing feature as  the lens has a near-bayonet smooth surface suitable for that purpose.

Images appear crisp and sharp and flare apparently is quite well controlled. Bokeh is super smooth and pleasing. Cat's eyes creep in towards the periphery like with most modern lenses, though, but didn't seem too annoying. I cannot see any obvious CA nasties however they might surface when NEFs are processed (now I'm looking at in-camera jpgs).

So far, this Micro seems to be a worthy addition to the Micro-Nikkor lineage and much more well behaved than the F-mount predecessor.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2021, 15:15:29 »
Thanks for your first impression Birna.  Looks good !