Author Topic: Photo Mechanic v6 Share Wear...  (Read 1763 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Photo Mechanic v6 Share Wear...
« on: May 22, 2021, 02:21:49 »
I found Photo Mechanic v6 is available for download as shareware. I wonder if anyone is using this version of Photo Mechanic and if so how do you like it?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Photo Mechanic v6 Share Wear...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 11:48:44 »
I tried it a very long time ago. The issue I had then was that the ratings (star, color, cannot remember if that included both) was not aligned with the standard of Nikon software and came out differently when the files were opened there. This could have changed but is a thing to watch out for. Also I found the structured keywording very complicated and too advanced for my non-professional use.
Øivind Tøien

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 12:39:19 »
Photo Mechanic 6 is the current version. Is the download just a trial version?

I am not a professional, but I have used Photo Mechanic for over ten years, longer than any other photo software. It is overkill for my needs, but is fast and flexible.
Anthony Macaulay

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 18:38:53 »
Previously I did event photography and Photo Mechanic was invaluable to me. I no longer do it, so have not upgraded from v5.

I would recommend you try it for yourself and see if it fits your workflow.

Shareware or pirated?
Bez

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 22:12:19 »
Shareware or pirated?

Do you mean you think the Shareware program being offered may be pirated?

Years ago I bought Nikon Capture NX for an outfit called Image Mixer. There were reports that they were selling hacked and pirated software. I was lucky and got my money back through my credit card. About a month later I bought Nikon Capture NX2, full version, from B&H Photo NY, NY.

I'll look in to the possibility and download from the maker's website if there is a free or low priced version. I think the regular version is $150.00 USD.

Thanks

Dave

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 02:11:58 »
Dave,
You can get a free download from Camera Bits, to try it out for thirty days.  https://store.camerabits.com/try-photo-mechanic-for-free
I would be suspicious of downloading the software elsewhere.

It would be worth $150 to me if I was still shooting events. The speed you can ingest, sort, and catalogue images is a great time saver. 

Cheers

Bez

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 03:13:23 »
Dave,
You can get a free download from Camera Bits, to try it out for thirty days.  https://store.camerabits.com/try-photo-mechanic-for-free
I would be suspicious of downloading the software elsewhere.

Thank you, I think this is good advice.

Dave

ThomasAdams

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 20:12:38 »
Dave,

I'm a little late on this one. I have been using PM for years and only scratch the surface of it's capabilities. I use it for quick culling and automated upload to my Gallery 2 website (which isn't currently working and may never work again). I can also use it to automate uploading to FTP sites and a large number of photo hosting sites. I don't use it as many professionals do but it's well worth the price for reasons I mentioned and the occasional correction of EXIF date time (damn you daylight savings time!) for me. I purchased PM on sale and I upgrade when they are available. As mentioned they are really good about providing you with an extremely generous trial period - at least compared to what others offer now days - I would highly recommend taking advantage of it.

Regards,
Tom

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 20:27:13 »
Thank you Tom!