Author Topic: Nikon 24-70/2.8E VR  (Read 26567 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Nikon 24-70/2.8E VR
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 20:54:00 »
Congratulations Pedro! Enjoy :)
Erik Lund

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 20:58:10 »
What about looking at an actual photo? The examples Erik exhibited now do not show much in terms of vignetting?

I'm coming to the idea that lens reviews tend to over emphasize vignetting. They use a Standard or default PC or equivalent and frequently shoot a gray target. On Nikon cameras you can shoot with the Neutral picture control and most lenses can easily be corrected. I was concerned about the vignetting on the AF-S 20/1.8G ED Nikkor and I honestly haven't noticed it, at least noticed it as a problem. Sometimes I use Photoshops Filter> Distort> Lens correction> to add a subtle false vignette. Now if you look most lenses you can see some vignette wide open but if you have to look to see it it's probably helping the photograph not harming it. An exception would be a 50/1.2 or 50/1.4 or similar lens. The 50/1.2 AIS was probably designed as a go for broke JP lens and it was designed for film. In many cases the vignette doesn't matter and in others it's a pain.

Anyway vignette is always there. It's often over stated in lens reviews. Sometimes it helps and sometimes not and sometimes you have to look for it to see it as I think we are so used to some vignette that we want it. Again I add a false vignette of may photos to center the eye.

Hope this helps,

Dave Hartman 
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 21:03:50 »
That vignetting issue is really a let down. I do expect more from this lens. Specially for the price. And to think that they have made the filter to 82mm  :o :o :o

The lens is a honker. That's fine and I want one as long as it doesn't fly south for the winter. I don't see a problem in Erik's photo. When it's a problem it can be corrected. I hate to think how big that lens would need to be to reduce vignette more and in all likely hood some other aberration would increase.

Dave Hartman

More and more I'm seeing that lens designers are doing a high wire act, but the show must go on. This really isn't new but I guess I'm thinking about it more these days.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!