Author Topic: Image size test  (Read 5911 times)

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
Image size test
« on: June 19, 2015, 13:12:36 »
This is 1600 px wide, posted as an inline attachment. I want to see how it displays in my Firefox...

Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn J

• NG Member
Re: Image size test
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 13:13:49 »
Interesting. This downsamples properly, and adjusts itself if I resize Firefox.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 13:16:21 »
This is the same image when located on an external server.
Displayed here with the "add image" button:

Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 13:17:09 »
This did not work, image is not downsampled in Firefox, and way too large.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 13:18:49 »
The SMF css section is set to handle attachment and linked images in the same manner. Apparently, this works perfect with your sample images.

The resizing is pure css, no javascript or plugins are employed.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 13:24:37 »
The SMF css section is set to handle attachment and linked images in the same manner. Apparently, this works perfect with your sample images.

The resizing is pure css, no javascript or plugins are employed.

So in your Firefox, the linked image displays properly, same as the first inline attachment?
Bjørn Jørgensen

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 13:33:44 »
Yes. No difference at all.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 13:35:30 »
And it doesn't work properly in Chrome or IE either....
Bjørn Jørgensen

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 14:00:08 »
Image resizing works in Firefox on all platforms tested so far (Windows 7, 2003, Linux). IE is as usual a sad story, but your image does change size even there (to be precise, it gets upscaled, but won't shrink below its initial size in my IE 11).

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 14:08:39 »
I am on Firefox/Android here and have to scroll both
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 14:20:21 »
On Mac/FF both images work fine.  If I shrink the FF window they resize until they are really small and then are cropped - but that only happens when the window is too small to be useful.  The larger versions both resize properly whatever the window size.

Same on Mac/Safari.
Anthony Macaulay

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 14:43:15 »
Admit I'm puzzled by the different responses across member's computers and browsers. As I already stated, the resizing relies solely on CSS and no javascripts are involved. All modern CSS3 compliant browsers should be able to handle this functionality by design.

Perhaps the various users have no-standardised browser setting active? Then tracking down and correcting the enigmatic behaviour of image resizing really can be time-consuming.

Andrea has had eye issues of late and might need an operation to correct a retina going astray. We'll keep her away for a while and try to find practical solution while she is on the mend.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 15:23:53 »
On Mac/FF both images work fine.  If I shrink the FF window they resize until they are really small and then are cropped - but that only happens when the window is too small to be useful.  The larger versions both resize properly whatever the window size.

Same on Mac/Safari.
Same behavior on Win 7 / FF - displays/resized  both images without the need to scroll
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn J

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 15:25:14 »
Admit I'm puzzled by the different responses across member's computers and browsers. As I already stated, the resizing relies solely on CSS and no javascripts are involved. All modern CSS3 compliant browsers should be able to handle this functionality by design.

Perhaps the various users have no-standardised browser setting active? Then tracking down and correcting the enigmatic behaviour of image resizing really can be time-consuming.

Andrea has had eye issues of late and might need an operation to correct a retina going astray. We'll keep her away for a while and try to find practical solution while she is on the mend.

As far as I know my Firefox has pretty standard settings, except that I have restrictions on cookies and privacy. I run AdBlock and a few other add-ons, but I have disabled many of them during this testing.
I will probably do a complete uninstall/reinstall of FF, but it puzzles me that Chrome and IE also have the same display issues.
Bjørn Jørgensen

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 16:55:57 »
My FF on Linux displays the image just fine without scrolling. Chrome also is just fine.

cheers
afx