Author Topic: I love sleep...  (Read 4618 times)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
I love sleep...
« on: December 22, 2015, 06:55:35 »
"I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" ~Ernest Hemingway

I've seen people taking a nap almost everywhere. But in a crowded fish market - never before.
Calcutta, 2015. Fuji X-T10 + 18-55 kit lens.
Anirban Halder

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: I love sleep...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 11:30:55 »
It's so crowded and tight that the poor guy can't even stretch his legs :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:03:49 »
There is food in many of your pictures. You live in paradise!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 12:15:08 »
No worries.  There are lots of percussions to wake him up!  :)

A nice snap shot filled with interesting elements.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 13:03:23 »
It's so crowded and tight that the poor guy can't even stretch his legs :)
Tight it is!  :)

There is food in many of your pictures. You live in paradise!
And, I only post a few of them. ;)
Jokes apart, it's a big country with very wide range of food habits, cuisines and street foods.

No worries.  There are lots of percussions to wake him up!  :)

A nice snap shot filled with interesting elements.
Thanks Akira. :)
Anirban Halder

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 15:14:11 »
Afternoon nap!
Jayanagar Fish Market, Bangalore, India. Shot today during my weekly sea-food/fish shopping. These guys cut and clean fish/sea-food after you purchase them; taking a break on a not so busy afternoon.
Fuji X-T10 + 18-55.
Anirban Halder

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 15:31:03 »
I love the imagery in the first. After an exhausting day, the cleanup is finished and boom ... Sleep. I once did talk to a guy who was asleep, standing up. You images really bring me into your photos, into those places you allow us to visit through your photography. I wish I could also experience the smells and favors of your photograph.

I don't think I like his feet on the prep table. Lol   
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 15:47:25 »
Thank you very much, Gary. Photos of food or flower market, capturing the smell indeed would have been nice. Fish market, may be not so much. :D
Btw - in first photo the guy's feet aren't on prep-table. It's just a seating area for the shop's owner or his helper. In the second photo the guy is sleeping on thrown away thermocol box.
Anirban Halder

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 15:54:00 »
Thank you very much, Gary. Photos of food or flower market, capturing the smell indeed would have been nice. Fish market, may be not so much. :D
Btw - in first photo the guy's feet aren't on prep-table. It's just a seating area for the shop's owner or his helper.

Most may not ... But I would appreciate the smells from the fish market (well ... Maybe just a whiff ...)

Really, so all the pots are stacked on a seating area? Looked like the prep table to moi.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 16:09:44 »
Really, so all the pots are stacked on a seating area? Looked like the prep table to moi.
Yes, it is a concrete slab and a seating area. The shop was pretty much that concrete slab with a charcoal oven in it & the wall behind. This was tiny shop where they were selling chai and snacks; customers were mostly the other shop owners. Some of the stuff they sell, they prepare at home and bring over there.
Anything they prepare in the shop, they use those flat dishes/utensils in the pic.
Anirban Halder

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 16:13:04 »
I love both images Anirban, though without your narrative the first one looks like could have been a fairly quiet part of the market.

I have no knowledge of Fujis, or what the 18-55 translates to in 35mm format terms, but whilst the second image works well I was surprised by the amount of distortion in the the lens. Guess having the person on the very edge of the left hand side accentuates this.

and just to confirm, this isn't meant as a criticism of your image or the lens (which I'm sure has many other excellent qualities)

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 16:30:41 »
Thank you Colin. And, please do criticize my photos. That really helps me to learn and improve.
Fuji 18-55 is more or less same as any Nikon 18-55 on a DX body. You caught me red-handed; this lens doesn't have so much distortion. Distortion got added in post-processing because of the way I re-framed it. I didn't like the original framing somehow. But as soon as I took the first shot, the guy on stairs started shouting and the man woke up! :) Here's the link of the original one - https://flic.kr/p/CbLgf3
Anirban Halder

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 17:23:34 »
Curious, as I'm struggling to see what PP you did that would have caused this.
Looks like a straight crop on either side would have covered much of what you wanted to bring the subjects into prominence.

Actually, I was also originally puzzled why the straight lines of the railings seemed ok. Now it's a little clearer!
But can you tell us what s/w you used and what you did?

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 18:20:25 »
If you notice the stairs on both the images, you will see the difference. Also, I've changed the direction of the railing on extreme left. Not necessarily it has made the image better, but I like the edited version. Yes, goal was to bring the subject into prominence. Adobe Photoshop CC has a feature "perspective wrap", which I used here. You can pull or push any part of image as if it's a 3D model.
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/perspective-warp.html
Anirban Halder

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 15:31:11 »
Very nice pictures (as the most you've posted ). Always interesting.

Perfect color rendition and framing.

I like the documentary side of them. We can have a genuine view of your far country. ;)

Thank you for sharing, Francis.
Francis Devrainne