Author Topic: Rodenstock 100 1.6 to nikon mount  (Read 13027 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Rodenstock 100 1.6 to nikon mount
« on: June 27, 2016, 16:28:24 »
I did it with what I had around. A friend of mine worked a ring of "teflon graphitized" -I don´t know if that translates well but you get the idea- to specifications in order to be able to fit a br2A reverse ring. The ring was a perfect fit and everything has been glued together.
   There is a little gap between the end of the lens and the mount so it focuses at some 74 cms/29 inches. It takes extension rings with grace.
   As of now, the exif reads 100mm 1.4 because is the closest I can dial for non cpu lenses in the d750. 1.8 also available. It works as it is. All is left is to shoot.
   It is possible to chip it? Complicated, necessary/practical?

Any ideas suggestions welcome

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Rodenstock 100 1.6 to nikon mount
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 16:43:33 »
Magnification with the mount and with 36+20+12 kenko extension tubes.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 17:13:53 »
Another interesting photographic tool to explore ... Kudos.

If you have a spare BR2/BR2A, just send it to me and I'll chip it for you.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 21:22:15 »
Thanks a lot Bjørn but the BR2A is glued in place with a vengeance. Is it possible to do it with the adapter in place or do I have to remove it?

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 21:24:37 »
I can send you the parts. You need to drill,  and countersink, the two holes for the retaining screws though.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 22:48:15 »
The job looks neat, and the lens apparently is really sharp.  The only concern is that I would rather doubt if the glue holding BR2A in place could stand for the weight of the lens.  Otherwise, hope you enjoy it and am looking forward to seeing more images!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 23:05:08 »
Akira, I was also concern but it looks and feels very sturdy indeed. The piece was made by a perfectionist, fits tight and the glue is industrial strength -borrowed from a nearby factory, actually-. Time will tell.
Bjørn, I have been looking closer at the work you did with the 95 1.4. Is way more elegant as you can unscrew it at will. I have been looking also at the position and the retaining screws. It looks scary to try -never before- but doable. Worse come to worse I can always come back to what I have...this two extra holes in it. Let´s do it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 23:08:44 »
I'll send you the kit including a template to ensure the holes are correctly positioned.

Just let me clear the slate of pending chores, 1-2 days perhaps?

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 23:11:31 »
This one will have a learning curve as well. It behaves differently from the other one. The images are different... This are first encounter gentle tries.
Thanks Charlie for pointing out the item in ebay.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 23:12:43 »
I'll send you the kit including a template to ensure the holes are correctly positioned.

Just let me clear the slate of pending chores, 1-2 days perhaps?

Excellent

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 17:20:04 »
As of today, the project is finished and the lens has a nikon f-mount and is CPU-modified!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 17:40:57 »
It was March 11th when Charlie pointed out the lens in ebay...Bjørn offered the chip in June 27th so it has been a long way for all the steps.

Received the chip fast and easy as is normal now when dealing with Mr. Rørslett -thanks again- with a template to make the holes for attaching it to the mount at the right place. Luck has it, I was out of town for a month and a half when this happened. I had a friend pick it up, mark the mount and return the template all through whatsapp :)
   It turns out he did it perfectly except for the fact that he send back to Bjørn the template AND the chip. Our Fierce Bear contacted me with the situation, offered a solution at no cost -for me- and fixed it fast -thanks, again, I´m blushing-

I had the lens, the mount mounted and marked and the CPU in is contact block, all together in the same room at the same time. While trying to make the wholes, I lost one of the tiny tiny screws and never got it back. Tow more friends to the rescue: one makes glasses and has lots of tiny screws lying around gave me a spare; one, who makes jewelry, performed the perforations and put everything in place.
    I though the 4th contact pin should be aligned with a piece of the mount and wasnt´the case and that made my wonder. Should have had more faith.
    Back at home one of the screws fell out when trying to mount the lens for the first time. Fell into the floor and disappear. When looking for it, I found it AND -I swear- the one I lost a week ago! Put it back in place again with some effort.

Now everything is in place and working. The lens sends the right information to the camera -100mm 1.6- and works in every mode, with very good exposure and with TTL flash.

It sound like an epic journey but it was easy except for my clumsiness. I will do it again. It is fun and satisfying to  complete.

Now I have two Rodenstocks 

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 17:43:05 »
This four images taken with the new and operational rodenstock 100mm 1.6.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 17:44:37 »
Very nice set!  ;)
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear