Author Topic: Tamron 85 f/1.8 Di VC USD  (Read 13914 times)

stenrasmussen

Tamron 85 f/1.8 Di VC USD
« on: June 27, 2016, 11:17:17 »
Just started exploring this lens as a potential purchase.
Initial impression:
- great build quality, metal, weather sealed
- slightly heavy at 706g (Nikkor 85/1.8G 388g)
- super fast AF drive (the Nikkor is a slug in comparison)
- VC is very effective and relatively silent
- more to follow

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Member
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Tamron 85 f/1.8 Di VC USD
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 11:26:17 »
this is an awesome lens. i tested this at CP+ :o :o :o

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 11:46:18 »
Sten, looking forward to your impressions. It is heavier but is it cheaper than the Nikon 85/1.8?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

stenrasmussen

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 13:52:28 »
Sten, looking forward to your impressions. It is heavier but is it cheaper than the Nikon 85/1.8?

It is 60% dearer than the Nikkor 1.8 but that is offset by the betterness of it  :D
One of the drawbacks with fast portrait lenses like these is focus shift when stopping down. It is not too severe but something to be aware of.
Here are a couple of comparative shots @ f/1.8 showing how the Tamron is better corrected for LoCA. (I've added a color boosted version to emphasize the effect. Notice how the Nikkor samples show a green halo on the shoulder and a magenta tint on the head cloth of the statue).
Also note how the Tamron's focal length is slightly longer.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 13:59:28 »
With the VC (VR in Nikon term) and less LoCA, and more advanced "E" type aperture, Tamron seems to be worth the extra money.

I also like the sculpture.  Nefertiti?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

stenrasmussen

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 14:13:27 »
With the VC (VR in Nikon term) and less LoCA, and more advanced "E" type aperture, Tamron seems to be worth the extra money.

I also like the sculpture.  Nefertiti?

I agree with you Akira. The sculpture (which is supposed to be a king) is a custom job by a local artist here in Stavanger. Looks a bit like Nefertiti but have no clue whether the artist is influenced by the Egyptian royals.
Here is the full image with the queen to the left (Tamron version).
Also included is a comparison demonstrated on the Spyder LENSCAL tool, this time shot with the D500 (colors boosted to show the issues).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 14:23:47 »
Sten, thanks for the details of the sculpture.

You may also want to try to shoot chrome coated metal surface reflecting strong lights to see if the lenses are resistant to the purple fringing, as shown in the review of AF-S 85/1.8G at photozone.de:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/717-nikkorafs8518ff?start=1
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

stenrasmussen

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 15:01:58 »
That's on my list Akira. Bokeh, fringing, blur circles, real portraits, landscape proximal/distal/lateral sharpness, flare (when the sun decide to get out), etc...

stenrasmussen

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:52:57 »
Although there seems to be little interest in this lens I'll keep posting my impressions.
Bokeh: Tamron still in the lead as shown in the f/1.8 and f/5.6 examples below.
Night shots: Both lenses provides nice blur circles with just a slightly pronounced outer rim. No onion ring effect from molded aspheric here. Point light source stars - the Tamron produces pointy ones, the Nikkor fan shaped ones. I like the former.
Hight contrast scenes: The Tamron is virtually void of any purple fringing whereas the Nikkor struggles big time.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 10:30:01 »
I'm reading these impressions with considerable interest, Sten ...

Seems the Tamron is a worthy challenger and alternative in this focal class.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:47:22 »
Sten,
thanks for sharing.

Could you be so kind and check for AF accuracy for the outermost AF fields in the D500 ?
I'd be interested how Tamron is handling this issue we saw with the Sigma Art lens.
Given the different focal range the issue might be smaller, but still - i am just curious.

Many thanks,
Andy

stenrasmussen

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 12:45:38 »
Sten,
thanks for sharing.

Could you be so kind and check for AF accuracy for the outermost AF fields in the D500 ?
I'd be interested how Tamron is handling this issue we saw with the Sigma Art lens.
Given the different focal range the issue might be smaller, but still - i am just curious.

Many thanks,
Andy

So far the outer AF sensors seem to hit right on target. Apart from focus shift I am REALLY impressed with this lens. I will trade in my 85/1.8G tomorrow.

Andy

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 13:27:24 »
Thank you Sten. Good to know.

If you still have both lenses, you might be interested if the Tamron is also rather a "real" f2 than a f1.8, like the Nikkor. (Nikon Marketing seemed to be very progressive wrt to this value)

Just compare the exposure level at open aperture and a fixed exposure time. Take a good f1.4 lens, set it to f1.8 and use it for comparison as well.

enjoy your new lens,
Andy

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 13:31:08 »
Although there seems to be little interest in this lens I'll keep posting my impressions.

No reactions does not necessarily mean "no interest". I also experienced little feedback when posting about, say, the tamron 45/1.8, another lens worth trying (and even buying).
Airy Magnien

stenrasmussen

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 13:50:26 »
No reactions does not necessarily mean "no interest". I also experienced little feedback when posting about, say, the tamron 45/1.8, another lens worth trying (and even buying).

My interpretation is that Tamron is still hampered by yesteryears's lukewarm quality. A shame really as their recent years have yielded quite a number of really good lenses.