Author Topic: Roger Cicala on new 50mm lenses  (Read 2798 times)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
Re: Roger Cicala on new 50mm lenses
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2021, 12:27:58 »
Sharpness is difficult to judge from 600*900 pics, but bokeh seems on a par with the often praised 58/1.4G, and LoCA is not noticeable:did you suppress it in PP?

I never found LoCA to be inspiring nor useful in any way (unlike a certain K.R. who wrote that the green outlines behind focus would harmonize with veggie backgrounds), so that's very good news.

Here's a crop of one of the pictures (SOOC) that has a lot of specific detail at the point of focus (which I think was the spine of the book on the top of the stack). I only used NX Studio for all these pictures and made no corrections to LoCA in any of them. The light is from a nearby window on a winter afternoon. Picture handheld (some shake probably from my 73 year old body) at f1.2 1/80, iso 64, using the Z7. Taken on the day I received the camera from Nikon (a shot from first roll of film as it were).

Unfortunately, I have not found a satisfactory way to downsize photos to Nikongear from NX Studio. Some results are better than others.

Hope this addresses your concerns.

ianwatson

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 16:16:45 »
Tom, these photographs look lovely to me. There is certainly nothing wrong with a clear view of the world. After all, nobody asks an optometrist to under-correct their vision  ;)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 18:13:07 »
Tom, these photographs look lovely to me. There is certainly nothing wrong with a clear view of the world. After all, nobody asks an optometrist to under-correct their vision  ;)

Thanks Ian. Funny comment about the optometrist.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2021, 21:39:56 »
Unfortunately, I have not found a satisfactory way to downsize photos to Nikongear from NX Studio.

Lovely series of pictures Tom! You can use the "Export" icon on the top right to open a pop up screen for downsizing and saving to different formats.
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2021, 22:45:27 »
Lovely series of pictures Tom! You can use the "Export" icon on the top right to open a pop up screen for downsizing and saving to different formats.

Thanks twice Wally, for your nice comment and your helpful tip. I do use the export function in NX Studio but what looks sharp on my screen doesn't always pass muster on these pages. I am improving though, day by day.  :P