Author Topic: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?  (Read 117451 times)

ch96066

• Wrecked Hobbyist
  • NG Member
  • Everything in moderation
    • INSTADOC
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #375 on: July 04, 2021, 18:53:47 »
Looking purely at DR indeed there should be little reason to use something on top of D810.

What I cannot explain (due to my lack of knowledge) is that when I shoot, e.g. yellow flowers with my D810 vs the S5 (using an ETTR approach) I find that I can recover much more to my liking a nice saturated yellow with the S5 vs the D810.
Not sure if it has to do with the way channels are saturated or a film like shoulder on the S5 or something else.

On the other hand it could simply be me trying to rationalize why I keep another camera around :)
Everything in moderation

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Do you still use an "obsolete" camera?
« Reply #376 on: August 15, 2021, 20:10:14 »
Looking purely at DR indeed there should be little reason to use something on top of D810.

Regarding the Z7 II and possibly the Z7 and D850...

[This looks like an important quote I left out...

"As we mentioned, the Z7 II's sensor is essentially the same as its predecessor; it uses a dual-gain design to minimize read noise above ISO 320, so that high ISO settings have lower visual noise." --DPReview]

"This also means that you can save four stops of highlight detail by shooting at ISO 400 instead of ISO 6400, with the same exposure settings, and brighten selectively – while protecting highlights – in post. You'll pay little to no extra image noise cost in doing so." --DPReview

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z7-ii-review

So I'm wondering what this means and need to do some experimenting.

Here is a link showing DR v. ISO of the D810 and Z7 II...

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D300S,Nikon%20D810,Nikon%20Z%207II

...notice that the Z7 II jumps ahead in DR at ISO 400. any ideas?

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!