Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Picture Control

(1/3) > >>

Kim Pilegaard:
Is there any effect/benefit of adjusting Picture Control other than for the out of camera jpegs?

John Geerts:
To review the image on your camera.

Ilkka Nissilä:
If you use Nikon Capture NX-D, ViewNX-i or NX Studio, the picture control settings made in the camera show as default settings for each raw image so the raw images and jpgs look alike. You can then make changes to the settings in the editor.

golunvolo:
I´m with John here. I use to shot in "standard" mode but realize that the "neutral" gives me more control over exposure so all my cameras are set to shot in that mode and I go from there on the computer. Only when fancy strikes I put the Z6 viewfinder in monochrome, it leads me to different images.

If shooting jpgs the story changes as it will affect the output big time.

Akira:

--- Quote from: golunvolo on April 11, 2021, 22:02:30 ---I´m with John here. I use to shot in "standard" mode but realize that the "neutral" gives me more control over exposure so all my cameras are set to shot in that mode and I go from there on the computer. Only when fancy strikes I put the Z6 viewfinder in monochrome, it leads me to different images.

--- End quote ---

Since the "flat" setting had been added to the option, I have used it all the time for the very same reason, when I used Nikon.  I even set the sharpening to zero to start the process literally from scratch in CNX-D.

My current SIGMA fp has the Color Mode (corresponding to Picture Control of Nikon) "off" in which the truly unprocessed raw data can be available.   8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version