Author Topic: Angel On 4th Street  (Read 4264 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
Re: Angel On 4th Street
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 06:56:51 »
And who's the angel's employer or owner, by the way?

That would be God.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

DaveO

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 20:47:16 »
  Did you use a filter to make the clouds stand out like that?
David Olsen

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 04:26:43 »
Gary, my wife said the same thing when she first viewed the photo.  >:(

Airy, there are two angels on the side of Bass Hall, which is a very prominent performance center in downtown Fort Worth, Texas. 

Dave, there was no filter used on the shot.  Texas has been going through some really extreme weather lately.  That is pretty much how the clouds looked that day.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to view the image and leave comments.

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 02:39:37 »
Nice image Rick!

The quiet streets, clouds appearing to come out of the Angel's trumpet, solid composition and the tones of the b&w composition all come together in this engaging picture.
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

mycomser

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 14:21:33 »
This can't be a digital image, it must be a 8X10 shot - negative and print beautifully done with Ansel Adams Zone System in mind..  ;) ;) - excellent !
Juergen Schaefer
Nikon User for 40+ years

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2015, 14:26:08 »
Rick really knows how to make excellent b/w conversions from his digital captures ...

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 17:03:23 »
Thanks Bill, Juergen, and Bjorn for for the comments.

Juergen, back in the day, I actually shot an old Wista 8x10 field camera for fun.

Bjorn, when I first got into digital photography, the first thing I concentrated on was how to make good B&W images with the digital files.  Coming from a background of almost exclusively using B&W film for my personal work, this was very important to me. 

For anyone who is interested, my process is very simple.  I use Nik SilverEfx, and then it is just a matter of selective contrast control and burning and dodging- the same tools I used in my darkroom for years and years to make silver prints.  However, for this particular shot, I used a small sample of HDR- just enough to open the shadows a bit.  After viewing the image with HD and without, it seemed to only make a slight difference, mostly in the shadow area.  I doubt if this will become a tool that I use much at all.  Just experimenting a bit here and there.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 17:04:25 »
I do like the way the clouds seem to be blaring out of the horn.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 19:49:22 »
Gary, you beat me on this. I have been facinated by this for days now, so much that it is had for me to see anything else in the picture!