Author Topic: Good Nikkor lens for close-up  (Read 1137 times)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Good Nikkor lens for close-up
« on: March 06, 2021, 17:30:48 »
I tried out a "new" Nikkor for close-up on my Z50 and what I like is that I don't see these "fake colors" at edge of blown out highlights.
Lens is good corrected and I think it could be called "APO". This lens....I think....will only cover DX-sensor but it has a "bigger brother" (which I hope I will get soon) which will cover FX and I also have a similar lens of same type from another brand which should cover FX. The lenses needs some "adaption" to be used on Z-mount.

I attached two test images where each has a 100% crop also......
The first one the black lock is about 2 cm wide.....and I think you can see what 2nd image is....

The images are just handhold......

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Good Nikkor lens for close-up
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 22:57:29 »
A bit more fun with the lens which is optimized for about x1.1 so I need more extension to reach that.
2nd image is just a 100% crop of the first image.
When it gets warmer I will try it out outdoors for hopefully some more exciting images with natural light.....

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 00:36:31 »
What is the identity of the Nikkor lens used? The EXIF data list the lens as 0mm at f/0. There must be a divide by zero error somewhere in the data.  :o

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 07:48:57 »
I hoped it could be guessed as I gave some information that it has a bigger brother and than I also has one for another brand to try out :-)
And also that the lenses seems to be APO corrected.

But it is a scanner Nikkor ED which was used for either a LS-4000 or LS-5000 scanner. A 7-element ED lens.
The bigger brother which I will get soon is one used in the CS 9000 scanner and this lens is a 100/2.8 with 14 elements and lot of ED glass.
Lenses are still relative cheap compared to performance but prices seems to have gone up since 2016.

Little and bigger brother her (with example of with the 7-element lens can do):
https://www.closeuphotography.com/scanner-nikkor-ed-7-element-lens

As these scanners also use a IR-scan for scratch removal.....lenses may be usable for IR-also?    .....but not sure about that......

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:21:19 »
Very sharp images, definitely worth to investigate their coatings further if they do [IR] could be very interesting also for [UV]I have had both the Coolscan 4000 and 8000 ED
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 11:33:29 »
A good option could be to get an e.g. Coolscan 8000 ED sold for parts for like say $350 if seller does not know it has a super lens inside that is worth more.......
If sold for parts the buyer should also ensure that no parts has been removed :-)
Lens in 8000 ED and 9000 ED are not 100% identical it seems......but probably close in performance.....
I have a working 9000 ED so do not want to remove the lens.....before it is "dead" :-)

The smaller 7 lens Nikkor is easier to get but I don't think it covers full frame but the Minolta 5400 lens should.....a very small lens.....but very high performance.
It it for this lens I need the black paint for the RAF Camera adapter......so I wont get flare.....

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 11:39:48 »
We will look forward to the results ;)
Erik Lund

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 19:06:23 »
There are some technical information about the two Scanner Nikkor ED-lenses here:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/articolo%20Scanner%20Nikkor%20ED.pdf

I may need more education to interpret the curves completely but someone with knowledge may confirm if these are quality lenses for their purpose?

If I could read Italian this would be a benefit also.....but maybe someone in this forum can. I have not tried Google translate :-)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 19:09:56 »
....but "quasi superacromatica" ....I think I understand.....and "sounds" quite good?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 21:57:34 »
An example when used as "stamp loupe". A 100% crop is applied also.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 22:40:01 »
This is the setup so far. Not much extension but I think this will be good for field use like "flower + insect".
Distance from front of lens to object is about 10 cm using this relative short extension. If my memory is correct it is a 40mm F4 lens....