Author Topic: Seeking advice about a tripod ideal for low-level work  (Read 627 times)

MEPER

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Seeking advice about a tripod ideal for low-level work
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 22:03:27 »
A simple Joby could also be the answer?
Especially if you use lighter lenses like 50 - 150 mm macros.
Also if you have a hand on the camera while shooting the Joby can be a good support.
The advantage is that it is very light and easy to setup and can adapt to many uneven surfaces......

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 20:05:04 »
Once you get this low I wonder if a bean bag, or an old sock, would suffice.
There's a bag for that:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Counter-Chest-Strap-Pods/ci/10834/N/4075788766?filters=fct_brand_name%3Avisual-departures
Unlike beans, they are unaffected by water(plastic bead stuffing) and unlike sand, they are not heavy.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2021, 04:58:10 »
When I see something on or close to the ground that I want to photograph, more often than not it is small; therefore, I’ll make a close-up or perhaps a macro shot. If I elect to stack images in this scenario, I’ve found that I spend less time repairing the artifacts left by any/all of the stacking programs if I use the most rigid set-up that I’ve found.

The Sachtler DA 100 K (not available in carbon fiber) has proven, for me, a real asset.

It has no click stops that can force you to raise the tripod higher than you want. The legs will spread to a full 90 degrees, the spikes are functional at that angle.

This tripod is rigid. When I’m in a reasonably sheltered spot (out of, or able to effectively shield the set-up from the wind) and tolerably firm earth upon which to place the tripod is available I’ve used a Cambo Actus XL 35 (or Ultima ) with a D850 on the rear standard and a heavy lens on the front standard (6.5 to 8Kg). I’ve obtained high quality images without resort to a pentapod or other form of improved support.

If the tripod has been in the mud, slime or sand cleanup is quick and easy- remove the head (or flat plate) then rinse the bowl and legs clean under running water. In a pinch I’ve swirled the tripod in a pond.

Bob

Snoogly

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 05:27:35 »
Thanks for your ideas everyone. They ranged from cheap and basic to eye-wateringly expensive!

But going back to my original question about a tripod that can be used both for normal use and macro use, close to the ground, I plumped for this one. Splay the legs for low level horizontal work, and invert the center column for looking down at 90 degrees. It’s the looking directly down functionality that I really wanted.

https://www.3leggedthing.com/corey

It ticks all the boxes! And it’s relatively cheap, after VAT was deducted.

But I also bought one of Akira’s red balls and some of his small black legs :-) They are just too charming to resist.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 10:34:00 »
When I see something on or close to the ground that I want to photograph, more often than not it is small; therefore, I’ll make a close-up or perhaps a macro shot. If I elect to stack images in this scenario, I’ve found that I spend less time repairing the artifacts left by any/all of the stacking programs if I use the most rigid set-up that I’ve found.

The Sachtler DA 100 K (not available in carbon fiber) has proven, for me, a real asset.

It has no click stops that can force you to raise the tripod higher than you want. The legs will spread to a full 90 degrees, the spikes are functional at that angle.

This tripod is rigid. When I’m in a reasonably sheltered spot (out of, or able to effectively shield the set-up from the wind) and tolerably firm earth upon which to place the tripod is available I’ve used a Cambo Actus XL 35 (or Ultima ) with a D850 on the rear standard and a heavy lens on the front standard (6.5 to 8Kg). I’ve obtained high quality images without resort to a pentapod or other form of improved support.

If the tripod has been in the mud, slime or sand cleanup is quick and easy- remove the head (or flat plate) then rinse the bowl and legs clean under running water. In a pinch I’ve swirled the tripod in a pond.

Bob
Very nice setup, the color combination is clean and very striking! Super product shot as well ;)
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 11:08:56 »
Thanks for your ideas everyone. They ranged from cheap and basic to eye-wateringly expensive!

But going back to my original question about a tripod that can be used both for normal use and macro use, close to the ground, I plumped for this one. Splay the legs for low level horizontal work, and invert the center column for looking down at 90 degrees. It’s the looking directly down functionality that I really wanted.

https://www.3leggedthing.com/corey

It ticks all the boxes! And it’s relatively cheap, after VAT was deducted.

But I also bought one of Akira’s red balls and some of his small black legs :-) They are just too charming to resist.

Good to know you found the solution.  Hope you enjoy your new rig!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bob Foster

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 23:18:31 »
Snoogly- I'm glad that you've found something that will fell your requirements.

Erik- thanks for the comment on the image.

Bob

Steven P.

• NG Member
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 05:13:49 »
At the right time, you can get one for peanuts.
I am a happy user of a Gitzo explorer tripod. Mine is the 4 section, series 2. For a regular tripod it is a compromise if you are over 5 feet tall.
For small, as close to ground, most contorted position, angle it anywhere, there is nothing like it. I never use it fully extended. It is the only tripod that actually fits on one of those silly backpack mounts.